• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by tang.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me some Cheap(ish) speakers?
  • alpineharry
    Free Member

Heading to uni in a couple of weeks and wouldn’t mind upgrading my speakers to something that is better than some external computer speakers.

Wouldn’t mind it if they could be used in conjunction with a sub but for a reasonable price? Bearing in mind i’ll be a uni student so preferably not too expensive..

thanks

stumpy01

What will the source be? Hooked up to an amp & some kind of input? Or through your computer? Or straight from a phone/tablet via Bluetooth?

It’ll make quite a difference to the recommendations.
    And what is ‘cheapish’? When I was looking for my first speakers, £100 was my max budget, but the other day I saw a kid about 10yrs old telling his mum that he ‘had to have’ a pair of Beats Audio headphones. They were £199. Things seem to have moved on since I was a youngster…

If hooking up to an amp, you could do a lot worse than a pair of these:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/monitor-audio/bronze-bx1-blk/moni-audio-bx1-blk

or their bigger BX2 brothers.

Regarding the mention of a sub, I would wait & see where you are staying. I had some fairly compact floorstanders at uni (still got them) and they were well overkill for the kind of rooms I ended up in.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Depends what you mean as cheap.

I picked up five KEF eggs and two KEF subwoofers for £175 off ebay local pickup.
    Also picked up two more Eggs for £20, also local pickup.

Twinned with a decent amp they are great. Very clear, and if you want VERY LOUD.

#Edit Like these: KEF Speakers

cdoc
    Free Member

For much cheapness I went with Eltax concept 600’s for uni, powered by a Cambridge audio amp.

I think the speakers were on offer for £70 and the amp was a cashconverters find for £30.
    The speakers are surprisingly good for the money, bi-wirable, take banana plugs, ect. I added a sub and they are now hooked up to my tv and working fine, 6 years on..

Not for the brand snobs, though 🙂

alpineharry
    Free Member

Ideally just plugged into laptop via an AUX cable or bluetooth (Not as important). JUst after something with half decent sound quality and good bass.

If i could get a sub and amp for £70? would that be reasonable?, or possibly even some good external speakers for a computer really.

mcj78
    Free Member

The cheap-ish Tannoy speakers always get good reviews, i’ve an old pair of Mercury M2(?) & they’re great – they were only £150 (15 years ago) so you’ll pick up something like those for peanuts, add a cheap half decent amp – even an old 30kg retro receiver & you’ll be pretty well sorted

alpineharry
    Free Member

I know it’s on Argos, but something like this would be ideal, quite small and one unit, any good? Link for speaker

alpineharry
    Free Member

Or this?, 25W RMS should be enough for a small room?, apparently a 75W RMS will do a 350x400SQFT room..
    Logitech speakers

Would like something with a low frequency as that seems to regard the bass? From what i’ve read up on anyway

stumpy01

alpineharry – Member

If i could get a sub and amp for £70? would that be reasonable?, or possibly even some good external speakers for a computer really.

Some ebay surfing might get you a decent set of speakers and an amp for £70. You could run a headphone to phono cable from your laptop/phone/tablet/ to the amp.

Not sure using the headphone jack of your ‘source’ will bring you the best sound quality, but if you are looking at £70 for amp & speakers you can’t be too fussy.

Or look for a decent laptop speaker set-up from someone like Creative that comes with a sub.
    These come with wireless but will also run off a cable feed:
    http://uk.creative.com/p/speakers/creative-t3250-wireless
    or these are just cable feed:
    http://uk.creative.com/p/speakers/inspire-t3300

I’d go for the option of Bluetooth as well if you end up going down this road.

alpineharry
    Free Member

Will bluetooth give me better sound quality than an AUX feed?

freddyg
    Free Member

I’ve got a few bits I am intending to put on ebay this weekend. A Rotel RA820AX amp and some PC 2.1 speakers (Harman Kardon HK395). Any good?

These things:

alpineharry
    Free Member

Fire me an email with some details and specs please.

biking259 @hotmail.co.uk

cheers

freddyg
    Free Member

email sent 🙂

bartyp
    Free Member

For a small room, and something you can plug into a computer, the you can’t go wrong with these:

http://www.harmankardon.co.uk/harman-kardon-product-detail_uk/hk-soundsticks-iii_-new_packaging.html

An old design now, but still some of the best computer speakers you can buy. Currently £100 at PD World.

tang
    Free Member
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some Cheap(ish) speakers?’ is closed to new replies.