Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me some – Cheap boots for snow and coldness
  • Killer
    Free Member

I’m off on a week adventure to the far reaches of Norway/Sweden in a little while and realised that my usual footwear may not be quite suitable for the temperatures i’m likely to be seeing.

the shoes i usually pad abouta ski resort are ok, but celarly not designed for -14 ish.

However, i don’t want ot invest in some super snow boots for only a week, so i’d like something i could use for hard wearing work afterwards too.

all without spending too much £30-£50?

Any recommendations / must be avoideds?

Thanks

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sports Direct have plenty in your budget – no idea of quality though most people seem to have no problems with the Karrimor stuff.

hammyuk
    Free Member

What size feet are you?

MadBillMcMad

see if you can get some North Face ChilKats

managed to get some in a sale last year for £50 – bargain.

I’ve used them for snow biking on all day cold snowy rides.
    Amazingly warm feet but they do not grip the flat pedals quite like I am used to.

Killer
    Free Member

I’m a size 8.5-9/ EU43. Is this important?

GOod shout on Sports Direct. Had seen some Karrimor stuff about but wasn’t sure if it was any good or not

Mackem

I’ve got a pair of Sports Direct Karrimor walking shoes and I’m very happy with them.

maccruiskeen

so i’d like something i could use for hard wearing work afterwards too.

If you mean safety boots type work then anything rated ‘S3’ is waterproof and insulated as well as safety rated. Maybe have a click about on Englebert Struss as their stuff is pretty good value and you can sort your search to only show S3 rated boots and shoes. A lot of their stuff is safety boot rated but hiking boot design / built.

Warmest boots I’ve got at the moment are some Buckler B301SM which are well insulated but also pretty cushy and don’t really need breaking in. I’m sort of between sizes with them so wear them a bit big with a second pair of insoles and they are super toasty as a result – But they are over your budget

Slightly less practical but very warm also (and the cheapest way to get cheap foul/cold weather boots)… have a look on eBay for firefighter boots – basically better spec’d rigger boots, can usually be picked up pretty cheaply, and plenty of room for warm sock inside

hammyuk
    Free Member

Chillcats on the second day in Iceland last week….

Asked about your size as I have a pair of Asolo twin boots that were going to one of the guys on here to take to Switzerland but we couldn’t get them to him in time over xmas.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

These Salmon ones from Decathlon are ace..
    Great for riding in flats too…

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/snowpine-mens-snow-boots-id_8346679.html

dknwhy

Decathlon? They have these or have some salomon ones on offer.
    I tend to favour decathlon over sports direct as they have a 2 year guarantee that is more likely to be upheld.
    I think had some karrimor boots that saw minimum use and leaked but they refused to take them back.

Killer
    Free Member

THose decathlon options look very good.

When i said for hard wearing work, i didn’t mean safety boots. i was more referring to being able to use them in a more normal peaks type bog afterwards rather than jsut for 10 days of snow

martymac

i have a pair of chillkats, far too warm for uk use imo, i was getting sweaty feet at -24c in canada with mine.
    even when worn with a kilt.

DezB
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

I wouldnt buy North Face for technical gear anymore. Overpriced fashion tat for the most part. Even Mike Astley’s brand-raping gear compares favourably. OR ^ Trespass as Debbie says.

For 1wk, consider getting some karrimor/field and trek boots and treat yourself to some good quality thermal socks.

£27 for something like this, if you fit, is hardly going to break the bank
    http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor-ksb-250-mens-snow-boots-182429?colcode=18242926

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some – Cheap boots for snow and coldness’ is closed to new replies.