• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by bigG.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend me some budget road wheels (11spd)
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

So, it seems my Planet-X Al30’s don’t take an 11speed freehub….

What’s worth a look at around £100 for an 11speed road wheelset? There seem to be lots of variants of Shimano RS31,RS61, RS501…..whats the difference between all these?

Plus Shimano seem quite heavy. (AL030’s were sub 1700g without QRs)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

The basic Giant wheels can be picked up cheaply, and are 11spd.

bland

These are on my list, for the price they seem hard to beat. No doubt you will need to tension them up and the bearings will be shoddy from the off but for the price they seem hard to beat

Superstar Wheels

bluebird
    Free Member

Plus Shimano seem quite heavy. (AL030’s were sub 1700g without QRs)

You’re not going to find new, quality, branded and light wheels for £100.

If you’re happy with cup and cone bearings these should be OK – http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-105-5800-hub-on-mavic-open-pro-rim-59395.html

rhid

I got an email from merlin yesterday with discounts on road wheels. I cannot remember exactly the price of the 11sp ones but they looked good value. Take a look at their website.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you’re happy with cup and cone bearings these should be OK

They’re £210, £100 is just the front.

IME the shimano factory wheels are fine, the Planet-X wheels have really light hubs, the rims are light but nothing special. The shimano wheels have quite heavy hubs, so feel a lot lighter when accelerating than they are. Theres a difference between my cheap shimano wheels and my 1250g Stans wheelset, but it’s not as noticeable as the jump between the shimano’s and the Mavic CXP rimed wheels they replaced.

RS11 – cheap, not too heavy, good workhorse wheelset
    RS31 – RS11’s with deeper rims, create their own gravitational field once spinning.
    RS61 – Like RS11’s, but better allround, tubeless compatible, cost more.
    RS501 – like RS11’s, but with normal spokes and hubs.

I’d get RS11’s unless you particulalry want the RS61’s, the 501’s aren’t much cheaper, and the 31’s are just pointless unless you’re TT’ing on a very flat course and have no money.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The Superstar ones are nearer £200.

I’m really trying to keep it down to closer to £100 tbh.

I feel a bit aggrieved that I’ll have a spare set of 10speed wheels I won’t really need and are still in pretty good nic. And selling them won’t recoup much.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks for the summary Tinas!

iainc

you should be able to get a decent pair of secondhand Askium’s or similar for that

bigG
    Free Member

for £144 you can get a brand new set of Mavic Aksiums. Great wheels at a bargain price.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some budget road wheels (11spd)’ is closed to new replies.