Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me really really light 700c wheelset £500 mark
  • plus-one

Hi all

Does it exist ? Looking for Nice set of race wheels..(clincher only)1200-1250g mark for around £500 or
    Cheaper..! Possible ? Was looking at dura ace 7900 cl which are pretty good by all accounts..

Thoughts ideas ? I’m 65kg..

Cheers

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Have a good look @ Soul’s S2.0. There’s a great review on Road.cc. They’re about 1,330g with std spokes and sealed bearing so nice and reliable with easy maintenance. The RRP is £575.00 but shopping around will help.

Quick disclaimer; yes I do work for Advanced Sports Distribution who are the distributor however all of the above remains true!

plus-one

Hi Adam

Yes those were on my radar.. Any demo sets ? These 1330g with skewers ?
    Skewers supplied ?

Thanks

Colin

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Hi Colin,

The 1,330g is without skewers or rim strips so add a few g for strips and about 90g for the supplied Soul skewers.

There is a demo pair available for most models including the S2.0, just drop us a mail though the contact page on our website at http://www.asd.uk.com (it is still under construction but the contact page works fine) so we can sort out sending a pair to you.

Googling ‘Soul S2.0’ throws up a couple of our dealers and the road.cc review on the front page.

Look forward to hearing from you

Adam

plus-one

Thanks Adam already emailed 🙂

Look forward to trying a set out..

Thanks

Colin

njee20
    Free Member

Tune Mig/Mag, Alpha 340s, Revolution spokes. Done.

Moonglu
    Free Member

Not wishing to step on anyone’s toes here but can we throw these into the mix:

http://www.moonglu.com/shop/hope-pro-3-on-stans-alpha/

We’ve built a couple of sets up now and whilst the clicky Hope Pro 3 may not be everyones cup of tea, they should be very reliable and certainly tough enough for a 65kg rider. They’re not 1250g but 1310g isn’t bad and I believe you’d have to spend big to get a much lower weight wheelset.

There’s also another set with red hubs:

http://www.moonglu.com/shop/hope-pro-3-on-stans-alpha-red-hubs/

The first set will be a 1 off, ultimately we’re planning to use 24/24 hole 2x pattern and we should have more hub colour choice later down the line.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I believe you’d have to spend big to get a much lower weight wheelset.

Incorrect, much lighter hubs available more cheaply.

plus-one

Thanks moonglu will have a look.. I like clicky hope 🙂

Moonglu
    Free Member

Lighter/cheaper – correct, more reliable?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Unknown!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

You could have a play around with this

http://www.justridingalong.com/custom-hand-built-wheel-sets/custom-handbuilt-wheelsets.html

At 65kg you coul dprobably safely go 20 front 24 or 28 rear, maybe American Classic hubs with Revs or CXray on Stans Alpha 340 rims. I’d reckon around the 1200gm mark. All recognised brands.

Haze

Moonglu, I was looking at 340’s on American Classic hubs.

My preferred choice would have been Pro 3’s but didn’t think they did a low spoke count?!

I’m a bit put off the Micro 85 front hub after reading a few poor reviews regarding the bearings, knowing Hope stuff as well as I do this is a clear advantage (not overly fussed about the weight penalty).

Moonglu
    Free Member

Haze, we only found out that Hope would supply Pro 3s in 20 and 24 by chance, on their site they only list 28,32,36. Initially they would only supply in black but after a bit of pushing they made us a few sets with red hub. These look really sweet with red nipples and the Stans decals.

warton
    Free Member

If they’re race wheels, why clincher only?

wheelsmith have 20mm gigantex carbon tub rims, on Novatech hubs, just over 1000g, for 550 quid

Haze

Cheers Moonglu, would be in black anyway so no problem there. I’ve dropped them a line to see if they can do any.

Would it be considered bad form and ask the LBS to build them up for me? (so long as I asked them to source the rims, spokes etc)

crftom
    Free Member

sram might be abit more than you wanted to spend but the srams are good

plus-one

Thanks guys for all the info/suggestions.. Plenty to look into 🙂

Haze

Good news (for anyone who might be following), Hope are apparently making the Pro3 hubs available in the lower spoke counts.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me really really light 700c wheelset £500 mark’ is closed to new replies.