Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me an XC chain guide that isn't an E13 XCX
  • GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Basically the problem is I can’t get the E13 XCX I bought a while ago to work properly. No matter what I try the the chain ring, with out the chain fitted, always rubs/grinds against the outer guide. I’ve tried different cranks (Shimano Deore and SLX, and a Midlleburn RS7 (with 3 different BB axle lengths)) and all give the same result. The frame is a Cotic Soul with a 73mm BB shell and the guide is always set as close as possible towards the crank.

Can any one recommend something that actually works?

Northwind

Top only? MRP 1X is very good.

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Yep, top only is what I’m looking for.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

just bought one of THESE for C456 1×10 build.

used it twice and hasn’t dropped the chain, although i think it does need adjusting.

mucho cheapness compated to the XCX ones!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Steady on! Recommending a Superstar product will have people wanting to burn you at the stake!

I too run the SS one on my Five. Has dropped a chain once when I backpedalled to jump on the bike. Big deal. Its cheap and it works although when I can be bothered I’ll probably get a Straitline Silent Guide.

Northwind

I’ve got the SS one as well on another bike, it’s perfectly decent. Backplate isn’t that strong- bends a bit easily- and the cage is a little bit fiddly get it absolutely right (I reckon it’s too wide at the top and too narrow at the bottom). But it’s good value and it does the job. Also, sometimes cheaper under the other brands like MParts.

But the MRP one is quite a bit better. Stiffer, easier to set up, better adjustment, and just seems to control the chain better. But, it’s more expensive.

orena45

Do you run a bash guard? If so how about a Hope chain guide? Just put one on my new 1×10 setup on my Five…loads of mounting choices, simple and light weight.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve had an XCX and an MRP. I had the same issues as the OP with both, but the MRP was much easier just to add a spacer between the backplate and guide. The XCX eventually worked after adding thin washers between the 2 halves of the guide.

matthiasg
    Free Member

Paul Components Chain keeper: http://www.paulcomp.com/chainkeeper.html

eyerideit
    Free Member

What about the things Cy @ Geeky Towers is knocking out?

They work for singles, doubles and triples.

Scroll halfway down the page

link

svalgis
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use only a c-guide for a single ring setup – it’s more a tensioner than a guide.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an XC chain guide that isn't an E13 XCX’ is closed to new replies.