Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me an route somewhere near the Glen Coe MTB course
  • br
    Free Member

Going up for a few days to the Glen Coe MTB DH/Red route and looking for something to fill 1/2 day (20-30 miles).

Have a car so if anyone can recommend either a decent circular and/or mountain top nearby route that would be great; happy to push (for a bit).

But not West Highland Way, as I’m doing that a different day, and on the Glen Coe DH/Red for the other days.

Ta

Edit – or is there a great ride/climb up something impressive somewhere on the road between Edinburgh and Glen Coe?

Northwind

Nevis range is just up the road, if you fancy more uplift. There’s something on the glencoe mountain website about using the lift to access plateau trails but I’ve never heard of anyone doing that.

Ciaran Path at Kinlochleven? Likely to have some WHW crossover.

br
    Free Member

There’s something on the glencoe mountain website about using the lift to access plateau trails but I’ve never heard of anyone doing that.

Yes, saw that too – but tbh I was looking for something longer – unless there is a route off the back that would bring me back around?

tomd
    Free Member

Out and back from Bridge of Orchy (or Victoria Bridge) to Loch Etive via Glen Kinglass. Or for a slightly shorter ride, only go so far as the hunting lodge and back in Glen Kinglass as the best riding is between Victoria Bridge and the lodge.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just about to post that Tomd!

this one!

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

There’s a world of opportunity~ plenty of riding around these parts; check website in profile for details…

br
    Free Member

Thanks BMS, but not looking to spend cash this week – but will bear you in mind for another time

The Glen Kinglass looks good, but a bit too low-level.

GW
    Free Member

What does low level mean?

There’s far better mtbing around Glencoe than the purpose built trails at the ski centre.

NickScots
    Free Member

Comrie Croft could be done in short time and it’s on the way to the Coe from E’burgh.

If you time it right you can do that Glen Kinglass route and catch the train back to Bridge of Orchy from Taynuilt.

Not many trains a day so be careful with timings…….

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I think you would be pushed to do more that a day at Glencoe. Best natural ride around the area is Devil’s Staircase, Blackwater Dam, Kinlochleven, Devil’s Staircase. Some WHW content but well worth it

theblackmount
    Free Member

30 miles is usually more like 1 day around these parts…

However:

Kinlochleven > Mamore Lodge > Loch Eilde Mor > take the singletrack right @ 213 634 before the loch > left once you are over the wee dam > Meall na Cruaidhe > to fork @ 278 626 > right along Allt an Inbhir to the damhead then follow the track (not the pipe) down to the Dubh Lochan and down the Leven.

I doubt that’s even 30km but it will take you 1/2 a day 😉

maddyutah

I know you said no WHW but a couple of weeks back we had a play on the DH track in the morning,Then rode from there down to Bridge of Orchy mainly down so fast ,really enjoyed the last bit from inveroran to Bridge of orchy.short ride but you could extend to Tyndrum.I suspect you will be doing WHW south to north so ride totally different in character.

turbo1397
    Free Member

definately the devil staircase.. start at the hotel across the road from glencoe… 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13673&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

An Gearneach via the stalkers path from Mamore Lodge

I’d go for the above as an out and back. I had planned to do it at the end of a Ring of Steall ride but my mates were too tired to attempt it. The path looks ace and is one I’m really keen to try.

The path looks pretty good on the ground and the video I’ve seen of it looks ace. 😀 It’ll be a carry up from the end of the Mamore Lodge track but the payback looks stunning.

You could then tack on either of the two descents to Kinlochleven above Mamore lodge. Both are ace and if you are contemplating the DH track at Glencoe, you should have the skills to ride them.

Like GW says, there is an awful lot of good riding in the area that is far more emjoyable than the DH track.

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Oh and obviously don’t continue until the far summit unless you like bike scrambling. You’ll easily figure out where the rideable stuff stops and the scrambling starts!

br
    Free Member

Thanks guys, some options to look at there.

What does low level mean?

There’s far better mtbing around Glencoe than the purpose built trails at the ski centre.

I prefer something that gets me onto a ridge and/or good views. And I know there will be better MTBing around, just helping TrailFairies at Glen Coe (happy on the Red/DH, but not really my ‘thing’).

Riding the WHW upto Fort William also, and then back later – which is the only reason why I wanted to avoid it.

30 miles is usually more like 1 day around these parts…

True, but its not dark until 10 🙂

br
    Free Member

So, what I actually did was:

Thu
    Arrived late afternoon, took the bike up the chairlift and had a pootle around the top (all of 5 mins decent riding…), then took the Red route down. tbh Fine if you like that kinda thing. Then rode across to the Black Corries and back to Kingshouse for a beer.

Fri
    Up early and at the top of the Devils Staircase by 0830. Into Kinlochleven and on to Fort William, all following the West Highland Way. Had lunch, and then turned around and rode back 🙂

58 miles all told, and very little shade all day.

Best bits were probably the descents into Kinlochleven, esp off the Straircase.

Was going to stay, but knackered and the midges were just unreal – so up-camped and drove home.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yip, one of the most underrated descents about, from the top of the devils down into kll.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an route somewhere near the Glen Coe MTB course’ is closed to new replies.