Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me an . . . Oak worktop supplier
  • bodgy
    Free Member

Refitting Mrs B’s office, and wanting to put a wall-to-wall Oak worktop / desk in, approx 240cm x 95cm x4cm.

Max budget around £300, located in Dorset.

Any suppliers that stand out from the norm?

nickjb
    Free Member

I just got mine online from Kitchen Surplus. Very cheap but great quality. Delivered by two chaps who happily carried it in. I went for 20mm stave which I prefer to the standard 40mm but is cheaper.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I use https://www.woodworktops.com when I need tops for jobs. the delivery charge stings a bit, but the tops are great quality and very good prices.

EDIT – they seem to have changed the delivery costs now so better value.

harrytoo
    Free Member

We did our kitchen 5 years ago and used these people:
    Barncrest

Used the made to measure service, so Sinkhole, tap, hob and drainer grooves all done. Don’t know how they price up now but still look as good now as they did 5 year ago, with a little TLC of course.

jeffl

Used worktop express when I did our kitchen 4 years back. Still looking good.

sockpuppet

IKEA are pretty good: about £150 for solid oak iirc. Do a 246cm option

jerseychaz

Worktop Express here as well – they even delivered to the IoW without a fuss. A 3m oak top was unbelievably heavy 😯

bodgy
    Free Member

Nice one, folks; I shall have a look at all of those options. Thank you. 😀

Going to be a fairly straightforward install, put some wall battens up at the appropriate height -40mm, cut worktop to length and drill/router in a few holes for cables etc.

Anybody used a Forstner bit in a router to plunge cut holes? Or is that suicidal lunacy?

sockpuppet

Check your router bit: many can plunge cut anyway

I’d not use a forstner bit, may well be too long anyway. Can do side-by-side holes if you need a bigger hole than your largest router bit

jamj1974

I second Ikea. I made a desk for our boys with trestles they sell and a long offcut.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

We have 3 IKEA ones. They are very good. 3 years use so far and no problems.

Can get a bit expensive if you need to go longer than their standard length, which is around 2.4 m. We needed a 2.6m one and it was double the £200 that the 2.4 was. The missis refused to have a join

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an . . . Oak worktop supplier’ is closed to new replies.