Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Recommend me an 'event' to train for.
  • weeksy

One of the lads was suggesting that to help me push myself and my training etc I need something to train for.

Seems like a decent logic. So thought I’d get some ideas as to what it is I need…

I was thinking the IoM or Manx etc, I don’t really know a lot about them though, but seem quite tough.

As much as I fancy the concept of a 24 hour event, I don’t fancy the overnight and complete lack of sleep LOL.

I’ve done the SDW overnighter, which was exceptionally good fun… but 12-13 hours was plenty enough for me.

Wants to be off-road rather than road….

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Some kinda duathlon/triathlon? How good are you at swimming and/or running?

weeksy

swimming I could manage if I trained, but really not my preference.

My knees like running even less than the rest of me. So ideally would be purely bike related.

somouk
    Free Member

I always find having an event or specific thing to aim for helps target my training and provide motivation. I’m currently training for a tough mudder so my biking to running ratio has had to alter dramatically to accommodate more running and more upper body work.

Not sure on the sort of event you’re after though as I’ve never done any of the 12 hour events.

sandwicheater

We’re in the midst of planning a 2 (more likely 3) day road ride, London to Paris with a plan to catch the TdF role in.

I know it’s not off road but worth considering.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Given your location… Gorrick Autumn classic XC races, or Brass Monkeys Winter races.

mogrim

Having a goal event is definitely a good idea if you want to improve. How far are you prepared to travel? UK? Mainland Europe? And how technical vs xc do you want it to be?

TooTall
    Free Member

Do you want to travel a bit further and make it part of a holiday in about a years time? Tack on the UCI World Road Champs afterwards? Come to Virginia.

Shenandoah 100

All the pain you want in a single day of riding.

weeksy

mrblobby – Member

Given your location… Gorrick Autumn classic XC races, or Brass Monkeys Winter races.

Done some in the past and I was decidedly average…. I hate being average… That said.. if the new Solaris comes off, it’s certainly a possibility.

mogrim – Member

Having a goal event is definitely a good idea if you want to improve. How far are you prepared to travel? UK? Mainland Europe? And how technical vs xc do you want it to be?

If it’s a one-off event then Mainland Europe is fine with me.. Would rather it not be the Mega sort of level of Tech, a bit less than that really would be ideal.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

olympics. All of it.

xanboy
    Free Member

Dyfi Enduro
    Check out no fuss events, 10 under the Ben, they do a tour of Ben Nevis which is next week so you’ll have a year for that.
    You could go big and look at Trans Alp

mogrim

If it’s a one-off event then Mainland Europe is fine with me.. Would rather it not be the Mega sort of level of Tech, a bit less than that really would be ideal.

I’ve recommended this event before as a challenge from a fitness point of view, the technical side is pretty easy: Los 10.000 del Soplao. Off road, XC, 165km with 4,800m climbing. I’m in pretty good shape and the last time I did it it took me about 12 hours, the winner took about 7…

I’m sure there are other similar events, of course – this just happens to be one I’ve done a few times.

cloudnine
    Free Member

TDF

kayak23

Eurovision song contest?

chakaping
    Free Member

Ideal Home Show (he won’t have to travel to Austria then).

crosshair
    Free Member

Done some in the past and I was decidedly average…. I hate being average… That said.. if the new Solaris comes off, it’s certainly a possibility.

Is that not the whole point though? There would be no point in recommending you an event to train for that you’re already awesome at because then you wouldn’t have to train 😀

IA

Selkirk marathon, ace event.

Or heaven of the south, also good. Not a race as such tho. Still, set yourself a time for personal satisfaction.

crosshair
    Free Member

Selkirk marathon, ace event.

Or heaven of the south, also good. Not a race as such tho. Still, set yourself a time for personal satisfaction.

Cool! Like the Scottish and English versions of the Brecon Beast.

fasthaggis

Whatever you plan on doing, the tough bit will be getting out over the winter months .You were on about wanting to do big hills in another thread,why not book something like the la Marmotte Big crowds,great atmosphere and some hard hills.Choose target –make plan–stick to plan– have fantastic time ( it’s really that easy 😉 ).

theflatboy
    Free Member

sandwicheater – for the record, having recently done a self-organised L2P in three days, it is quite easy and gives you loads of time off the bike on each day. If that’s preferable then go for it, if you want more of a challenge I’d say go for two days…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m in a similar position. Did an ultra triathlon recently but not sure I fancy another one as it seems to have robbed me of some power. I’d like to get that back but a target would be useful.

njee20
    Free Member

If that’s preferable then go for it, if you want more of a challenge I’d say go for two days…

Plenty of charity rides doing it in 24 hours. I actually looked at one last night strangely. It’s ‘only’ 280 miles.

mark88

I was thinking the IoM or Manx etc, I don’t really know a lot about them though, but seem quite tough.

The Manx End2End isn’t particularly hard so you’d be training for a time or position presumable.
    The Manx 100 is an entirely different beast, 100 miles (or 100km) with massive amounts of climbing so simply finishing is an achievement.

theflatboy
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

If that’s preferable then go for it, if you want more of a challenge I’d say go for two days…

Plenty of charity rides doing it in 24 hours. I actually looked at one last night strangely. It’s ‘only’ 280 miles.

yeah, that too…

hooli

This is a good place to start, there are a few hundred rides on or off road

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/home

qwerty
    Free Member
    timb34
    Free Member

Transvesubienne (or the Marmotte if you can be tempted on-road)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an 'event' to train for.’ is closed to new replies.