Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me an angle grinder
  • enveetee
    Free Member

…learning to set fire to my garage weld
    240 V prefered
    mild steel
    light metal bashing (up to 5 mm)

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive got a makita of somekind i got cheap(still cost about 50 quid)- tis light, powerful and loud. its a 120mm

my mate bought one of them lidl ones the other week …. was ok to use but the disk kept stalling out for some reason….. my makitas NEVER done that.

a good grinders worth its weight in gold when welding as youll use it more than the welder 😉

id like a 150mm , would be more suited to what im up to at the moment and mean i wouldnt have to do so many disjointed cuts in hard to access areas !

also dont keep it near the bike – itll make mince meat of bike locks !

what ever you do dont look on mig-welding.co.uk forum …. you think this lot are picky 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

[/url]

sorry 115mm is what ive got – linked above.

54 quid

jon773
    Free Member

Cheap Bosch or B&D. I have a cheap B&D and its absolutely fine.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Imaging the scene …. A packed commuter train coming into London, its early am and the train is full of suits, me being one of them. The train pulls into Stratford, last stop before the Liverpool Street terminal and used by many as a connection onto the tube, quite a few passenger get off and a couple get on…. One in particular catches my attention… a builder, he’s got a thick Scots accent, a skin head, tattoos and he’s dirty, really dirty, as in dirty from having just done a b00dy hard days (or should that be nights) graft… So you couldn’t begrudge him the Special Brew he’s was drinking at 7:00am on that packed train… Not least because in his other hand he was carrying an angle grinder.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen as harder looking bloke.

I didnt pick up the make of his weapon of choice, so not sure my little tale is of much use to you…. Sorry

bencooper
    Free Member

Bosch does me fine in the workshop…

LoCo
    Free Member

Posh Bosch used in the workshop pretty good, will replace with a Makita when I kill it (maybe fairly soon as was cutting a load of masonary at the weekend) 😯

enveetee
    Free Member

trail_rat – thanks – ordered

trail_rat
    Free Member

get some grinding disks and get some 1mm cutting disks rather than standard cutting disks if your cutting – they do wear fast but they cut sooooo much quicker with much less effort

juanking

T-R, what discs would you suggest for cutting patio (~35mm) slabs?

trail_rat
    Free Member

at a guess stonecutting…. but my experiance lies in cutting up old land rovers and welding chassis.

nickjb
    Free Member

what discs would you suggest for cutting patio (~35mm) slabs?

A diamond disc. Not as expensive as they sound and will last much longer than a stone disc. Get ready for lots of dust

EDIT: from the link above, there’s one in the picture as it is supplied with one:
    Comes with: Diamond tipped stone cutting blade

coffeeking
    Free Member

Bosch does me fine. Got two now as I was given one free.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

The bigger the output for the money the better and get decent discs…

trail_rat
    Free Member

And im sure it goes without saying if your working with metal – at the very least safety specs preferably a full face mask.

I use my auto darkening welding mask for the job

Had a disk explode on me not so long back – the tin they were in had got wet then they dried out and were not usable afterwards it would seem …. Just disintigrated

argoose
    Free Member

I brought a blackspure for £10 from local market five years ago. Still going strong.
    Tiling wall and floor, three rooms,
    Loads of welding jobs, cars gates and tool fabrication,
    aslo great for removing rusted nuts on cars and axe sharpening (avoided axe to grind pun)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an angle grinder’ is closed to new replies.