Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend me a X-Type BB replacement
  • Burts
    Free Member

My Heckler has RaceFace Atlas AM cranks and a X-Type XC/AM bottom bracket. Packing the bike up last night for an Easter trip and I realised the bottom bracket is behaving as if filled with treacle. No noise, creaking or wobbling, it just doesn’t spin freely. A good push and it maybe spins 180deg, so its time to replace it – I don’t need to add any more friction going uphill!

Is another X-Type worthwhile (not impressed with this one so far!) or are there other better, compatible options from Shimano? Thanks all!

forgotmename
    Free Member

Hope do them, so do chris king, both good.

giantjason
    Free Member

i am just after going through the exact same process on my bike. Race Face are rubbish and i went for a Hope stainless steel BB which so far is pretty good.

Apparently race face can last only weeks!!

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’ve got a Hope on one bike which has lasted well, but when my other one goes I’ll get some of the Enduro bearings from BETD.

z1ppy

… if there’s no lateral movement in them, then try cleaning the bearing first before righting them off completely (or replacing the bearing).

Workshop: Hollowtech II BB Service

Sonor
    Free Member

No noise, creaking or wobbling, it just doesn’t spin freely.

These type of BB’s don’t spin that freely. From what you have described it will still work, its when it starts grinding you replace it.

MY RF BB lasted a year and then I went and got Shimano XT BB, which has lasted two years so far.

smogmonster

Acros BB’s from Balfa.co.uk are great, and have a 2 year warranty.

turneround

my RF has lasted me 2 yrs, just got the deal on 5 sets of enduro bearings fromm betd with the removal/replacement tool. Got 4 sets of external BB’s so should keep me going for awhile

Guilliano
    Free Member

I just replaced a RF BB with a Hope one and it is so much smoother. Can’t say a bad word against it

AndyRT
    Free Member

considering exchange rates etc…Buy British! I have a Hope with stainless bearings. It has taken loads of abuse over the last 8 months, and I’m not a wippet, more of a hippo!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a X-Type BB replacement’ is closed to new replies.