Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me a wireless router please
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I need a new wireless router as my current one supplied by my employer has never been that good. Can I have your recommendations please. Thanks.

uplink
    Free Member

I replaced a [forever locking up] Netgear with a DLink DIR-655 a few months ago & it’s been solid without a single issue

john_drummer
    Free Member

I have a Netgear wireless router; we were forever losing wireless signal, especially Mrs_D, so we got some men in to make us a Cat5e network for £150. Involved running cables in the void under the floor, and up through the cupboard under the stairs, but remarkable mess-free considering

Now plugged into the router instead of wireless, we don’t lose signal any more…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Just had a look at this and it says ‘Connect the Xtreme N Gigabit Router to a cable or DSL modem and provide high-speed Internet access’. So would I also need a modem if I bought this as at the moment I have a modem/router in one unit.

Wozza
    Free Member

After trying a few, Cisco, D-Link and Linksys, we’re on Netgear at work. They all have their good and bad points but Netgear seems the easiest to set up, the most reliable and the best value.

bruneep

Netgear here no problems at all.

Stoner
    Free Member

I like the BT Home hub, have previously had netgears and dlinks and something else, all eventually have gone pop.

Ive no idea if a BT Home hub can be used with another ISP, but I wouldnt be surprised. Look on ebay maybe.

samuri
    Free Member

dlink’s are the worst routers on earth, never, ever buy one.

Netgear usually works for me.

cranberry
    Free Member

Netgear here, and it is very fast and stable – much better than the shonky Linksys that I bought because they were supposed to be the quality solution.

sidetracked
    Free Member

Netgear’s are the worst routers on earth, never, ever buy one.

All these cheapish consumer routers fail sooner or later, for me it was a netgear that didn’t die so much as drop th connection inexplicably and randomly for a while after a year or so of reliability. The free O2 branded Thompson unit I have at the moment is doing well if slow.

OP, What are your needs from a wireless router? Do you need high speed wireless -dual band wireless n – or high speed wired – gigabit Ethernet? Do you need adsl? is it important to you to be able to add a networked drive or share a printer? Me? I just wish apple would make an adsl airport. That would be perfect!

If you want a bargain, look to buffalo.

infradig
    Free Member

look for a router you can run DD-WRT firmware on. This allows more tweaking and is generally more stable than the stock firmware.

Gary_M
    Free Member

What do I want it to do? Nothing fancy, just reliably send wireless broadband to 2 pc’s, a netbook, a ps3, iPad and 2 smart phones. That’s pretty much it.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Weird how some have problems with specific makes and others find the same make reliable…

Netgear here, for years. No problems at all…

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I find netgear routers lock up when downloading heavily from torrent sites. If i’ve got more than 5 on the go at full chat, it locks up after about 5 mins and needs to be unplugged. That’s on 20mb

scotia
    Free Member

ha! If you read the above you’ll never buy any router!

we’re on a d-link 655 with no problems..

Cougar

Netgear or Linksys.

I’ve had several Netgears over the years. All have been rubbish out of the box and perfect with the latest firmware flashed onto them.

Markie
    Free Member

Billion BiPAC 7800(N). Rock solid.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a wireless router please’ is closed to new replies.