Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me a wine
  • phil.w
    Free Member

I need a bottle of wine to give as a gift. Knowing nothing about wine and spending enough to not just wing it, I thought I’d leave the decision up to STW. 🙂

So, requirements.

1) One bottle of wine
    2) Red
    3) £45 budget

What’s good?

binners

Sort of red, but its summer….

footflaps

Bit upmarket that Binners – recommend him something he can afford…..

Nick
    dmorts

A Pinot Noir from Central Otago, NZ.

phil.w
    Free Member

I have just realised the flaw in my plan… How to pick from the recommendations.

So, since he was in first I’ll have to go with Binners suggestion. 😉

messiah
    Free Member

This had my toes curling at a tasting… it really is that friggin good.

http://www.greatwesternwine.co.uk/nino-negri-sfursat-5-stelle.html

I ended up buying a few bottles 😳

I’d far rather share a bottle of this with my fab wife than a blow a similar sum of money in the pub.

EDIT – to give as a gift… unless its to give to me I’d find something easier as this took some tracking down 😆

Buzzard
    Free Member

Depends – is this for a real wine buff or just for someone who would appreciate a really nice bottle of wine?

This is a good compromise. 2nd tier Margaux
    http://www.majestic.co.uk/find/product-is-02251

alternatively if they someone getting into their wine – what about a wine society membership?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In the end of the day $50 (oz) is a good price for very good wine that comes out around £25 back up north. Would suggest finding a good wine merchant, there are expensive and fantastic wines I love and some that I hate, it’s just not my style. Know who you are buying for, it can be a minefield.

If you like the shiraz end of things
    http://www.syrah-du-monde.com/wod/WebObjects/Result.woa/wa/res?mod=medaille&c=*&y=2012&co=SdM&m=Or&lang=AG
    http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/toasting-the-worlds-best-drop-of-shiraz/story-e6frea83-1226403518162

phil.w
    Free Member

Depends – is this for a real wine buff or just for someone who would appreciate a really nice bottle of wine?

Not a buff. But knows enough to notice and appreciate a good bottle.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not a buff. But knows enough to notice and appreciate a good bottle.

Feels like my teritory 🙂 I know somebody likes this but how do I spit it out without people seeing…….

annebr
    Free Member

Just buy anything at that price range but make sure you leave the price on it. So they know how good it is.

eskay

I’d far rather share a bottle of this with my fab wife than a blow a similar sum of money in the pub.

Something almost rude about that sentence

DavidB
    Free Member

We gave a mate a £50 bottle of Chateau Neuf Du Pape for his fiftieth and he bloody loved it. Similar to your situation, he is no huge wine buff. Go to a local non-chain offy and ask for advice.

ptrockymountain
    Free Member

Chateux neuf du pap, the bees knees

Drac

£45 well it’s your money but your not going to get any wine that tastes better just because it’s £45. Pretty much anything around £10 is a safe bet but even less is well achievable for a nice wine.

thejesmonddingo

If it’s for the recipient to drink on their own,a good Amarone is superb,try Tedeschi,Masi or Zenato.

Garry_Lager

Chateau Musar makes for a good gift – Lebenese wine. Sounds a bit off the beaten track but it’s a well-regarded red and easily found. Quite a strong tasting wine IME, but everyone I’ve drunk it with has liked it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

To be safe try a very nice red burgundy

For something different try Clos Mogador (priorat). I was told about this a few years back but sadly only bought a few bottles. It’s not become much better known and the price has doubled 🙁 But you can pick up a 2007 for around £40 which would be a lovely present.

The Musar ^ is a good idea. For the budget you might be able to get 2 and box them. Again slightly different and a lively wine. I was bought one for a present recently and really enjoyed it. £20 ish from Majestic.

drlex
    Free Member

If there’s a Majestic nearby, that’s probably the best place to go to get something good over the counter.
    Never had a disappointing bottle with Henschke on the label – e.g. Burgundy analogue.

RichPenny
    Free Member

£45 well it’s your money but your not going to get any wine that tastes better just because it’s £45. Pretty much anything around £10 is a safe bet but even less is well achievable for a nice wine.

F,O,G?

Not a bad point, of critical importance would be what type of wine your friend likes. You could go for any of the following if that’s the kind of thing that he enjoys. These are wines that I have tried, but not on a regular basis! I would say if you’re spending £45 then research the vintage before you decide what to buy:

Italy: Barbaresco, Barolo or Amarone
    France: Grand Cru Chablis, 1er Cru Vosne-Romanee
    Germany: Alsace Riesling
    Australia: Barossa or Mclaren Vale Shiraz,Hunter Valley Semillon (though you might not find one for £45)

I would choose something a bit different though. A top Sauternes from France or a vintage Australian Tawny Port would be things you’d probably never buy yourself but make excellent presents.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Waitrose sell Chateau Musar if that’s what you decide to get.

I’d go for something French. Probably from Bordeaux. Ask you local wine merchant for a recommendation.

But your friend may prefer something more approachable. Maybe Australian

Penfold’s Bin 389 maybe

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a wine’ is closed to new replies.