Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me a wild camp near Pen Y Fan
  • surfer
    Free Member

In South Wales on Friday and fancied a camp overnight and a good walk the following day. I dont know the Brecons well (other than running in the Welsh Castles relay!) but Pen Y Fan sounds great.
    Any other recommendations for a place to camp and a longish circular walk the following day?

Thanks muchly!

surfer
    Free Member

Bump! Anyone?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

might suggest trying live for the outdoors forum, more orientated to the hill walking/backpacking sports, although they may be a bit prescious about sharing wildcamp information with a newbie.

surfer
    Free Member

Thanks 😀

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Merthyr tydfil can be a bit wild – not sure about camping there though 😯

This is a good walk http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walks/walks/walk_b/1123/ it took us just under 3 hours on a sunny June day, there are also some good ones heading south from Brecon to PYF

nickc

wild camp spot just north of Ystradfellte, you can do a nice 25km or so walk around Fan Llia after.

It's not Pen Y fan, but then you don't get the crowds either.

wheelz
    Free Member

I camped right at the bottom of Pen-y-Fan last time I was there, in the woods next to the stream below Llyn Cwm Llwch. Didn't see another person for two days, although it was November!

richwales

Try near the dam of the upper neuadd reservoir. Its a lovely spot to the SE of Pen-Y-Fan. Some woodland there also for a bit of shelter.

Moses

I recommend the north side of PenYFan, S of Brecon
    There's a car park about 1km W of Plas-y-Gaer with plenty of places to pitch nearby.
    I've stayed there in a van overnight, no problems.
    There's woods & a clean stream, too.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Did lots of Army training in that area – I love it!

Enjoy!

Trailseeker
    Free Member

It was a clear day when I took this looking north from the top

surfer
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice guys, although I suspect the weather will not be as good as when you took that photo Trailseeker!!

lookmanohands
    Free Member

There's a fell race up on the crybiyn (sp?) on Saturday that goes up pen y fan of you fancy a jog 😉

surfer
    Free Member

There's a fell race up on the crybiyn

Mmm… I'll look on the WFRA for that but my intention is new gear testin on the Friday and to cover some ground on Saturday, hope to be moving quickly and dont want to carry studs as well!!! Maybe spectate.

RepacK
    Free Member

If you have an OS map of The Beacons (1:25000) check out grid ref 000 180, its a very sheltered valley (Cwm Crew) S of the Fan & not far from Storey Arms, little warning though its as steep as **** to get out of on one side..So go in the same way you came out..Going up the W side is not advised unless you want to climb up on your hands & knees!

lookmanohands
    Free Member

It's the second round of the WFRA summer series. Was going but still injured 👿

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a wild camp near Pen Y Fan’ is closed to new replies.