Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • recommend me a wideish mtd rim
  • trailgod
    Free Member

After a trouser filling moment last night when the newly-fitted Conti mountain king 2.4 tyre decided to part company from the rim,allowing the innertube to escape from the rim like a demented python, I have come to the conclusion my xm317 rims are too narrow for a beefy tyre.
    So, what is out there (reasonably priced) ?
    t/g

ton

mavic 729

letmetalktomark

Stans Flow?

Not sure on individual cost as I bought mine as part of a Hope Hoops wheel set.

Reasonably light, wide, strong.

Give a good profile to my 2.4” tyres.

slowboydickie

+1 for fFow. Or to keep things lighter the Arch which still takes 2.35 HR no problems

nigew
    Free Member

Sun Rims Singletrack are quite good value, I was going to recommend a Mavic 721 but they aint cheap

resisted
    Free Member

If you want good value, consider a Bontrager Rhythm? they’re proportioned very similarly to the DT EX500 and built to a similar quality.

alfabus
    Free Member

stans flow +1E1000

jonba
    Free Member

Just as a note, if you are looking at published rim widths make sure you are comparing the same thing. Mavic publish internal widths while other companies publish external. The Stan’s rims are nice and wide. You might not need to go as wide as the flow so look at the Arch as well. Compare weights with some others and the Flow looks like a good bet, nice and wide and not really very heavy.

IIRC 317/717 are only recommended upto 2.1, you can get away with wider but it depends what and how you ride – as you found out.

imp999
    Free Member

+1 for the Bonties.
    And WTB do a couple – Lazer disc trail (Bit heavy) and a speed disc one I know nothing about but they crop up now and again and at a good price.

trailgod
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback – mate of mine also recommends Stans flows :wink:but then he is a good bit heavier than me 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

another vote for the flow rim. There was a thread about them on here the other day. There’s almost enough interest for another group buy if anyone has a contact.

godzilla
    Free Member

Go with the flow..

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Stans Flow again… It’s becoming the stock answer, for good reason.

I’ve just bashed a pair around Garda for a week during which they’ve survived about 65,000 feet of rocky descent. 🙂

Lummox

i’m running mavic en521’s on my five, they’ve stood up to a lot of rocky battering and shrugged it off, they weren’t too pricey either and if i remember the weight was favourable.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Mavic EN521’s here as well. Stood up to a lot of abuse over the last two years. Heavier than the Flows but about half the price

shredder
    Free Member

As said flow is becoming the stock answer perhaps see if you can get in add to the numbers on the proposed group buy.
    With regards to weight do you need a wide rim and beefy tyres if you only ever ride jay core lite !

Happy to help your technical advisor
    Shredder

Freester

I’ve been running EX721 with 2.4 Mountain King no problem…

Northwind

Is it an older Mountain King? Reason I ask is that the 2.4 isn’t a beefy tyre at all due to Conti’s random tyre sizing, and should be fine on the rims you have. Sometimes tyres come off.

But yes otherwise something with Stans written on the side.

trailgod
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone,esp.to you, the shredder,who is now my
    self-proclaimed technical advisor (I prefer to concentrate on riding & not falling off rather than researching) 😛

randomjeremy
    Free Member

flow or mavic 721 if you want extra beef

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a wideish mtd rim’ is closed to new replies.