Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a white for the Xmas table . . .
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Having Turkey, go figure, anyone care to reco an easily available wine for about a tenner?

organic355
    Free Member

About £6.49 in Tescos at the moment, normally £9.99

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

When I saw the title I thought about exactly the same. A very nice white to enjoy with food. A dreadful one if tasted before you eat though so make sure everyone has had a mouthful of food before pouring it.

Try starting the day with a bottle of Champagne if the guests are in need of alcohol…

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

We'll be having the usual – bottle of whippet pi** and a good hiding for dessert.

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

theres a very nice oz chardonney for £3 in lidl. tis very nice. tried it over the weekend with our roast chicken

thejesmonddingo

Our whippet was too tight to p*ss.
    Ian

GrahamS

White wine is just not Christmassy. Get a decent red and stuff the "rules". They are mostly bollocks anyway and there will be plenty of heartier flavours to go with the red on the average xmas platter (e.g. stuffing, cranberry sauce, pigs-in-blankets, gravy).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Perhaps he isn't playing by rules and just prefers white?

thatscold
    Free Member

A nice Chablis with the Turkey.

I'm having a Rib of Beef from the local farm, so it's red wine for me.

GrahamS

Perhaps he isn't playing by rules and just prefers white?

Possibly, in which case fair play, but I supposed not since:

1) he said "Having Turkey, go figure".
    2) if he liked white he'd know a good one already.
    3) real men don't drink white wine by choice 🙂

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

this from Aldi's wine buyer blog last year

10.12.2008, Wineblog
    Christmas Comes But Once a Year

Christmas comes but once a year – unless of course you are a retail buyer. Then Christmas wash up begins in January, ideas form in February, are crystallised in March and bought in April. Packaging design starts in May, finishes in June and approved in July. Production starts in August, finishes in September with delivery in October. Panic in November and hopefully satisfaction of a job well done in December.

When I ponder what to serve people at Christmas the pressure is on, as all of my friends and family expect me to deliver something special. We haven’t made the final decision on our Christmas menu yet but the day will start with bucks fizz made with our Veuve Monsigny Champagne- it is the one day of the year when a drink before midday is entirely acceptable.

Before we sit to dinner we will share a glass of Carlin Premier Cru Champagne which will also serve as an accompaniment to our starters for the slower drinkers. Pouilly Fumé or Sancerre will follow as we generally have a light seafood dish and as we are very traditional, to accompany turkey I will take the Chateau Soussans Margaux which is perfect with all the trimmings.

With Christmas pudding I will offer either St Amandus Eiswein or Chateau Romer Du Hayet Sauternes. My preference is the Sauternes but both are delicious. If anybody has room for cheese and biscuits the Sauternes will do very well but as the night darkens and the room seems cosier, Fletchers Tawny Port is the most wonderful wine for this setting. Later on we will serve mince pies and for those with the stamina a refreshing glass of Camoli Moscato Spumante.

Hic!!

A very Merry Christmas to you all and thank you very much for staying with my blog this year!

Danny

Danny Gibson, Wine Buying Director

hels
    Free Member

Second the kiwi Sauvignon Blanc – try the Tinpot Hut much nicer than Oyster Bay for your money.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a white for the Xmas table . . .’ is closed to new replies.