Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Recommend me a watch that will survive MTBing
  • rOcKeTdOg

Budget up to £100

jackal
    Free Member

G-shock mudman. Think the newer ones with compass may be slightly more than your budget now though.
    I’ve had my older one for nearly 3 years and its been spot on, in all weathers and all terrain… No battery needed and it sync’s every morning so time keeping is obviously always spot on (wish mine was).

😀

simon1975

Classic for £8 on Amazon?

Lightweight, too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Swatch, cheap as on fleabay, tons of designs in a classic shape.

binners

Any G Shock will do the trick. They really are indestructable

jp-t853

I find Seiko 5’s to be very robust and they are a really great watch

Seiko 5

A pretty poor picture but a good seller

Albanach
    Free Member

I bought a g shock for biking and working in the garden etc but it’s started to steam up when biking so better send it back unless anyone here can help?

fathomer

binners – Member
    Any G Shock will do the trick. They really are indestructable

This, there great, pick one you like from the many designs and it’ll last a long, long time.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

G-Shock

Mounty_73

G-shock mudman, had mine for nearly 7 years, strap is splitting but the watch is ideal.

iainc

I bought a £20 Casio from Argos about 5 yrs ago and it’s ideal for biking – small, light, waterproof, alarm and stopwatch. I’ve never seen the point in paying more for a riding watch, unless you are after a ‘one watch for all occasions’

stumpy01

£30 Timex Ironman from Argos.

kimbers

gshock

soobalias
    Free Member

F91-W

bought for about a fiver just after christmas, it swims, it rides, it showers, it does the washing up, cleans the car and dredges the carp out of the bottom of the pond.

not a scratch and hasnt missed a beat.

then spend £95 on drugs and hookers.

willard

Timex Ironman. Got mine for £16 from Amazon and it’s been over a couple of assault courses, numerous ranges, the Gulf, on exercise in the snow, and Cannock Chase.

Like all cheap watches, it refuses to die.

jambalaya
    Free Member

+1 for Timex Ironman. I also have a Sunnto Vector which is useful for compass and altitude but it’s outside your budget.

fasthaggis

G shock ,or a second hand Protrek <<<if you want a solar powered, Ti, gadget machine.

IHN

simon1975 and soobalias speak the truth.

I have one for biking, the little lady has one for swimming and running, they are quite simply the b0ll0cks.

Why. Pay. More.

StirlingCrispin

Lorus Gents Sports Watch:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lorus-Gents-Sports-Watch-RXD425L8/dp/B000LCMGKY

£30, titanium case, light, accurate, hands glow in the dark.

rkk01
    Free Member

None?

I find wearing a watch uncomfortable whilst riding.

OTOH, my bike computer has a simple easy tpo read time display which is closer to my line of sight than my wrist…

mattk
    Free Member

g shocks are great, but I find mine a bit to big and despite being strapped tightly to my wrist it bounces around and gets annoying.

I’m now looking at getting one of the smaller timex ironman models for about £30 from argos.

messiah
    Free Member

I have one of these on the shoulder strap of my Camelback. I don’t like having anything rattling about on my wrist when hurtling down the trails.

jonathan
    Free Member

I was given a Timex Ironman as a leaving present one time – it died as soon as it was shown sea water 🙁

Return/traded in for Suunto Vector – which is going strong many years later. Recommended!

tonyg2003

Casio GS-1150On my wrist now.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

simon1975 and soobalias speak the truth.

I have one for biking, the little lady has one for swimming and running, they are quite simply the b0ll0cks.

Why. Pay. More.

+ Lots

Have one on my wrist now. It used to be attached to my motorbike for about 5 years where it survived all weathers and frequent jet washing.

Very light so I hardly know I’m wearing it. Still looks like new.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

One of Decathlon’s 25 quid HRM watches. Robust, nice big display with backlight, heart monitor so you can pretend to be ‘only doing zone 1 today’. Also comes with a handlebar mount if that floats your boat.

nealy
    Free Member

Classic for £8 on Amazon?

Lightweight, too.

I splashed out the extra quid on the model with the better backlight 😀

LapSteel
    Free Member

Inspired by this thread I have just bought a white one off ebay £3.69

s
    Free Member

rkk01 – Member

None?

I find wearing a watch uncomfortable whilst riding.

OTOH, my bike computer has a simple easy tpo read time display which is closer to my line of sight than my wrist…

OTOH – lol

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lapsteel – FAKE!

robbo
    Free Member

I have a 20 year old Animal watch on my wrist now on its 5th strap and 4th battery. Ace.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

a swatch skin will fit snugly under your glove and won’t rattle around as it is so thin and light.

I have one like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pre-owned-SWATCH-JELLY-SKIN-Wristwatch-original-case-papers-and-circuit-note-/290681069327?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item43adf11f0f#ht_1942wt_1163

but I obviously didn’t pay that for it.

IHN

a swatch skin one of the cheapy casios will fit snugly under your glove and won’t rattle around as it is so thin and light.

DT78
    Free Member

Used to use a gshock then read about how it can provide a fulcrum to help snap your wrist in an off.

Use a bike computer now.

binners

it can provide a fulcrum to help snap your wrist in an off.

What is the actual likelihood of that ever happening? And of it not subsequently happening purely because you had a watch on?

Do you also firmly believe that its only a matter of a time before you win the Euro-millions Lottery rollover? 😉

Tracey

Kevin bought a Kahuna one in the late 1980s, used whilst windsurfing, biking and snowboarding. Apart from a few straps and batteries its still going strong

nick3216
    Free Member

breo

strap will eventually fail and snap but they are cheap, comfy and also surfing proof

LapSteel
    Free Member

Lapsteel – FAKE!

Damn! lol…..what’s the difference?

DT78
    Free Member

What is the actual likelihood of that ever happening? And of it not subsequently happening purely because you had a watch on?

Yes, I read it somewhere, so it must be 100% definitely correct.

Plus having broken both wrists I don’t want to encourage any more broken bones… (and I find it a bit uncomfortable riding with a watch anyway…)

Don;t all come on here posting pictures of snapped wrist ‘cos of the g shock – I’ll just say I told you so

tang
    Free Member

Ironman timex off amazon. Fabian Cancellara wears a massive watch while racing sometimes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a watch that will survive MTBing’ is closed to new replies.