Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Recommend me a towbar mounted cycle carrier
  • Smarty
    Free Member

Sorry if it’s been done before-

Finally had the towbar fitted to the new motor and looking for a towbar mounted carrier. The roof is too tall for me to reach with the bikes and I needed the towbar anyway. Mostly I’d be carrying 1 or 2 bikes but does it make sense to get a 3 or even 4 bike rack just in case. Was looking at the Thule Rideon 9503

ebygomm
    Free Member

We’ve got that model, does the job just fine.

TomB

Highly recommend this BUZZ RACK 3 bike carrier. Very solid, easy to fit and remove, and tilts down to provide access to boot of my people carrier.

Very pleased so far, normally carry 2 MTBs and a kids bike on it.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Mate of mine has this one:

Excellent bit of kit.

br
    Free Member

Thule Rideon 9503

I’ve had this one for over 5 years now, but if buying again I’d go for this:

http://www.roofrackshop.co.uk/bike/thule-947-euroway-bike-carrier.htm

The Rideon struggles a bit with 3 bikes on, its never failed, but…

Smarty
    Free Member

That Pendle one looks interesting and there are only round the corner, don’t know if they have a shop at the factory, might ring ’em in the morning.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

See, I can’t quite get my head around some of these designs.

The Pendle one I put up above slots into 2 tubes mounted to a plate bolted behind the towball. Extremely secure.

Most other types I see including these Thules look like they literally just clamp onto the towball itself. Is that right? Surely not? If so how do they not just move around on the ball with the weight of 3 bikes hanging off them? Just clamp them up really **** tight?

alfabus
    Free Member

rideon 9503 is excellent for 2 bikes.

3 full sussers is a bit of a head scratcher, but is doable.

Dave

ebygomm
    Free Member

Yes they do just clamp round the towball. It’s not difficult to get them tight enough that they don’t move.

steveh

http://www.aistoncycleracks.co.uk like the pendle in the picture above but better in every way and cheaper. I’ve owned both and a thule and would now only use the Aiston. The website is very basic but the guys really good on the phone.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I have the Thule 9503, as above, and have used it for a couple of years now, no issues at all, three bikes, 500mile round trip/weekend away, various races, bike events, no movement in it even at 70(ish) on the motorway. Only additions I’ve added are the lock to lock it onto the towbar, and a length of pipelagging, which I put on the forks, if I’m carrying more than one bike, just to stop any metal on metal contact between the bikes. Got mine for the ride side of £100 from Halfrauds in a sale.

Coleman
    Free Member

If you have a swan neck / removable towbar then the only option is the clamp on ball type. Scary principle, but they do seem to work!
    The Thule 9503 is a very capable rack, good value, but personally found it fiddly to attach bikes.

br
    Free Member

Most other types I see including these Thules look like they literally just clamp onto the towball itself. Is that right? Surely not? If so how do they not just move around on the ball with the weight of 3 bikes hanging off them? Just clamp them up really **** tight?

No not really, all you need is to clamp around the base and then have a ‘cup’ on the top.

redthunder
    Free Member

Thule.

Smarty
    Free Member

Good point Biscuit and something I hadn’t actually thought about. So what happens if it doesn’t grab hold of the ball tight enough, first bump I go over will it slip down? Surely there’s a stop or something?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Smarty, where are you based? I’m in South Wales, between Afan and Cwm Carn, you are more than welcome to come have a look at my Thule fitted, and see for yourself how secure it is if you like

(Edit; and no it’s not for sale)

Smarty
    Free Member

Cheers ron but it’s a bit of a trek, I’m in sunny Pendle area.
    We have a saying round here, ‘if you can’t see Pendle Hill it cos it’s raining and if you can see Pendle hill it’s about to rain’ 🙄

sambob
    Free Member

thule pro 903 is good, but the wiring for the lighting is rubbish. Apart from that it’s a great rack, no movement with 4 13kg bikes on, and it’s one of the ball clamp types.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Yes they do just clamp round the towball. It’s not difficult to get them tight enough that they don’t move.

Doesn’t seem like a very good solution to me but it obviously works.

Brycey
    Free Member

Thule Euroclassic. Expensive but quality bit of kit and fully tilts at flick of a lever to let boot open.

marmottefarcie
    Free Member

+1 for the Aiston rack referred to by Steveh.

househusband

Another Thule 2-bike 3ball-mounted user here; so easy to use. On and off in half a minute, and the clamping mechanism has a lock. Has been utterly reliable in over a year. Best feature is that it tilts to allow full access to the boot, but suspect the larger (3+ bikes) may not do it?

Ben_mw

I’ve got a 909 Euroclassic G5, and can’t fault it apart from the price! It’s rock steady at speed and allthough I’ve never yet used the 4th bike adaptor, it’s fine with 3 on it.
    It’s one of the clamp on the tow ball affairs and it tightens up dead easy – it’s either on or off, you can’t get it wrong (tempting fate somewhat).
    They do tilt when loaded, even with the 4th adaptor.

I don’t trust the lock on the clamp though, I use an extra lock to lock the bikes together, and if parking up somewhere, a cable through the bikes and into the back of the car.

singlespeedstu

We’ve been using an Atera Strada for a couple of years now.

It’s been faultless. Very stable and the way it slides out on rollers is brilliant.

Oh and we went for the three bike version even though there’s normaly only two bikes on it. Gives you another option and there’s a bit more room between the bikes.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-accessories/atera_strada_dl_3_to_4_bike_carrier_uk_lights_no_ar2603/njNA_v1HqTo9~w7HCO3kxz3uBtkB%2C~4RYoJEYzTmI

fannybaws
    Free Member

i have a maxraxx which is pretty good. i wanted a rack that left the towball free for towing.

chakaping
    Free Member

Euroclassic here too. Picked it up mega-cheap in a sale but having owned it would willingly pay closer to full price if I had to buy again.

I’m sure they are available at reasonable discounts anyway, most Thule stuff is.

littledave
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I am also looking at a Thule towbar mounted carrier and am undecided between the Ride On post/strap style and the arm/clamp style.

I will be carrying a mix of bikes including my full suss with no top tube and a carbon hardtail.
    Does anyone have experience to offer on the best style of rack for a mix of bike shapes and delicate carbon tubes.

Thanks all, Dave

sparkerfix

We’ve been running the Thule euroclassic for maybe 5 years now. It’s covered thousands of miles all over uk and europe whith ease. Usually carrying 3 bikes but occasionaly 4. I did strip a thread on one of the clamps once but replacement was easy from Thule, they asked for a donation to charity instead of charging for the part. Highly recommended, maybe a little heavy but then it does have to cope with up to 4 bikes!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a towbar mounted cycle carrier’ is closed to new replies.