• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a "tall" saddle
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I have a 400mm Thomson post and could really do with a bit more height so I can extend my leg further when pedalling my bike.

Are there any saddles out there that are quite tall i.e. a good distance from the rails to the seating area?

I saw a road one the other day that looked about right, think it was a specialized but Im not sure.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If a 400mm post is too short, you have the wrong size frame, matey! 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The frame is the right size but I’d like to be able to stretch my legs a bit more when cycling up hill.

njee20
    Free Member

Unless you’re more than 6’6″ and thus can’t fit on conventional frames and are bodging I agree with PP. If you can’t get the correct saddle height with a 400mm post something is wrong!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I am 6’2″. I understand bike sizing. I dont want to ride downhill and dirt jumps on a 20″ xc frame so I bought a smaller frame. When I want to ride it uphill it would be nice to have the seat a touch higher. I have long legs. I dont want two bikes, one for uphill riding and one for downhill riding.

Stuey01
    Free Member

???

Stoner
    Free Member

I think the OP was after a saddle, not criticism of his frame set up by people who havent seen it or how he rides, or how long his body is etc etc….

Its quite possible to have a 400mm post come up short if it’s in a frame with a low top tube/seat tube junction and high min insertion mark and long inseam measurement.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Diddums.

FWIW, I think the SDG Bel Air I got recently is a bit “taller” than the Charge Spoon it replaced.

What about an IBeam jobby? They look like they might come up taller.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I should have seen this coming! In hindsight, I should have written “recommend me a saddle”

I would have got at least a page worth of responses and I could have simply chosen the one that looked the tallest. I could have then broken the news to you about my extra long seatpost and small frame and reason for selecting the saddle I did. You could have all then ranted on about incorrect frame sizing whilst I’d be riding off into the sunset with two fingers in the air and a sore back.

ourmaninthenorth

WTB saddles are pretty sofa-like. So too are SDG Belairs.

Neither are v comfy though

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOLs at the DT-haterz, DT do you want to joint my support group?

I had to buy a 450mm seatpost for my latest bike, maybe I should start a thread.

I hear Fiziks are “high”.

njee20
    Free Member

I was thinking Fizik, the Aliante always used to be rather tall.

I think the OP was after a saddle, not criticism of his frame set up by people who havent seen it or how he rides, or how long his body is etc etc….

Excuse me? He expected the question to be answered, with no extra advice on the side? He’s in the wrong place.

Stoner
    Free Member

Me: “Can some one recommend me some 1.8″ 29er tyres?”

Someone else:”You dont want 1.8″ 29er tyres, you want some fat 26″ tyres. You’ve obviously go the wrong sized frame!”

😉

howie74
    Free Member

Hi, have a look at the san marco range especialy the Zoncolan this has really deep rails and also the rotor sp1 is simular in shape… hope this helps.

Northwind

This thread is relevant to my interests

“PeterPoddy – Member

If a 400mm post is too short, you have the wrong size frame, matey!”

Brant disagrees, he says I need a small frame and a seatpost about as long as my arm.

slparsons
    Free Member

My tuppence worth; in my eyes a frame with that amount of seatpost exposed can look a little ‘unbalanced’. I’d recommend some of the Brooks saddles as being tall. I’m considering this one for my next build for the very same reason: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brooks-team-professional-leather-saddle-with-chromed-steel-rails-prod770/

As recommended by some of the others, WTB and SDG also are worth a look, depends what you’re after/happy with.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Brant disagrees, he says I need a small frame and a seatpost about as long as my arm.

Brant has sold frames with odd design quirks (OK, mistakes) too.

DezB
    Free Member

Fizik Nisene

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a "tall" saddle’ is closed to new replies.