Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • recommend me a tailor for a bespoke Tweed Suit
  • MisterT

so I know you suave sophisticats know a thing or two about getting the right kit for the right event….
    well I’m getting married and want to get myself suited for the occasion.. but want something I’ll wear again and again… and when on my old bike too..
    so I want a tweed suit made. some people’d call it a country sports suit, or a hacking suit…. suitable for mixed weather (with storm flaps, action back pleats etc.. a bit like the poncy one rapha marketed in 2007 – but not in boring grey or with pink tape..)

so can you recommend me a tailor?
    (if not a tailor then is bookster.co.uk any good?)
    advice gratefully received

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Where are you based? Also, budget?

Oh, and congratulations on the engagement! 🙂

MisterT

based in derbyshire/cheshire area – but will travel most places for a good tailor.

budget in the region of £1000.. but happy to pay double if it realy is worth it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A trip to That London’s Famous City of Westminster, perhaps?
    http://www.h-huntsman.com/shooting-suits/
    😉

Hackett bespoke is also surprisingly good;
    http://www.hackett.com/index.cfm?page=1232
    (Use the Sloane Sq branch, they’re great folks. Say hello to my barber while you’re there!)

Neither are very local, I’m afraid, but both very good.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

If you send me your cv, family tree and available times for interview, I’ll pass them onto my tailor. E-Mail in profile.

Also let me what type of tweed and which one.

corroded
    Free Member

Timothy Everest is yer man.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Try Brocklehust in Bakewell. They do a very good suit.

b_man
    Free Member

I am also looking at tweed suits for my wedding kit, in jan next year, I unfortunately dont have the same budget…. and I am going to get the trousers cut off just below the knee and will be wearing jandals (flip flops) as footwear….

I figure a tweed suit would be bloody hot in new zealand and the mother in law has forbid me from wearing jandals….might as well start off on the right foot.

I was thinking of using a tailor that I have used previously in thailand but am not sure if it will look right….

MisterT

CaptainFlashheart & corroded – interesting that you guys all point me in the direction of the main london tailors… yes very nice, but can’t help feeling they are overpriced and rather elitist? – (perfect for the city gent not the county peasant) – but I might just have to go experience them to see for myself

49er_Jerry – thanks for the tip.. will have a look see.
    any others?

corroded
    Free Member

Everest is anything but elitist, and is genuinely down-to-earth nice guy. He was one of the first tailors to move beyond Savile Row and is very much a ‘people’s’ tailor. I agree though that I’d feel out of place in the fustier places on Savile Row.

The reason that I recommended him is that he knows his tweed and has done the more unusual commissions and collaborates with Rapha so sounds like he’s on your wavelength in the cycling terms. He also wouldn’t push you to spend more than you want and is still repairing customers’ 20 year-old suits without a raised eyebrow. Anyway, I’m not on commission, get in touch and sound them out yourself!

MisterT

corroded – I like the sound of that… thanks 😀

meesterbond

I can heartily recommend Chris Kerr in Berwick St…

Considerably cheaper than the ‘Row (as an example I paid £1450 for a three piece suit last year although it may have gone up slightly), properly bespoke rather than Made to Measure. I had three fittings / measurements and I was delighted with the outcome.

He’s made quite a few suits for Vic Reeves, so isn’t averse a bit of tweed!

rewski
    Free Member

Also recommend Chris Kerr, his brother Wayne makes exceptional handkerchiefs to match. 😀

mega
    Free Member

Burton – job done

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart & corroded – interesting that you guys all point me in the direction of the main london tailors… yes very nice, but can’t help feeling they are overpriced and rather elitist?

but….

happy to pay double if it realy is worth it.

Far from elitist, just very good!

messiah
    Free Member

Got mine off the peg at House of Bruar. It’s Johnston of Elgin but made for HofB, big selection but I still needed the trousers modified. I went three piece plus kilt… awesome.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

ive got a fully custom tweed suit from brocks…there excellent the service is second to non and Dad who has had suits from bond street shops in the past says that he found the whole experience including the final product considerabley better…..mind you i would say that,i live near bakewell and i know the owners sun.
    my little bit
    Bruce

bainbrge

My other half will likely have designed your tweed if you go for johnstons cloth!

TooTall
    Free Member

Somewhere like Derbyshire should have proper tailors for proper country wear. Ask around that area – always best to find a provincial tailor over going to London – same cloth, often better cutting and sewing, sensible prices. Coleman and Sons in Leicester would be a recommendation from me for anything bespoke – not sure on their country wear experience tho.

molgrips
    Free Member

Two grand? You could get a bike for that 😯

climbingkev
    Free Member

Regal Military Tailors. Did my Mess and Dress kit and suit. Outstanding, you will pay for it mind. However, you choose the fabric, lining, cut, pockets, breast, vents the works. My Corps wouldn’t let us use anyone else, I thought it was a bit of a farce at first, but then you see why. A google should return something. London based.

Congratulations too!

tommid
    Free Member

Bookster number 1 http://www.tweed-jacket.com/

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Never used them but these guys look suitably top draw!

Dashingtweeds.co.uk

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a tailor for a bespoke Tweed Suit’ is closed to new replies.