Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Recommend me a surf video/book.
  • zippykona

Needed for a 10 year old.
    He’s never surfed but just loves the whole lifestyle thing.

mikey74
    Free Member

Definitely “Riding Giants”: Not just one of the best surfing films, but also one of my favourite films.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

+1 for riding giants. History of big wave surfing, awe inspiring story of men with the biggest balls ever.

deft
    Free Member

Castles in the Sky and Sipping Jetstreams are very good lifestyle/travel-y surf flicks

magowen100
    Free Member

Not 100% sure if its suitable for a grom but Endless summer 2 is one of my favorite films. Surfing or otherwise.

gusamc
    Free Member

for much earlier persepective (and possibly boring etc to a todays child) see Crystal Voyager (*beware Pink Floyd music, however it was that film, seen a long, long time ago that caused me to go surfing) and also Big Wednesday (wholesome American, surfing and friendships)

scruff
    Free Member

Point Break.

gusamc
    Free Member

forgot, for a Brit movie – Blue Juice

windydave13
    Free Member

+1 for Endless Summer 2.

Sprout is a favourite of mine featuring the likes of Gerry Lopez, Rob Machado & Kelly Slater.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Big Wednesday
    He’s too young to understand it, but one day he will

Books, Mavericks, to tell him of the price that some big wave surfers pay

The lifestyle thing is just to sell the clothes etc. Surfing is about being in the water not the brand of your shorts

But he’s ten so something else will come along soon

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

North Shore, brah.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

blue crush 🙂

Danny79
    Free Member

The Elusive – all filmed in UK and Ireland no big names just whoever was in on the day. What its all about if you surf these isles.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Surfing 50 States

Slight plug as it was made by my missus Cousin – really good journey film

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xY7rxFdiJas[/video]

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Powers Of Three – Amazing Irish surf film. Free to watch on line too! Just a quick google required.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

+1 Riding Giants
    and
    +1 Inside Mavericks (book); perhaps the most chilling, terrifying yet beautiful break I can think of, way beyond my league.

Rickos
    Free Member

Stormrider Guide. Just to ignite the travel bug in him.

cloudnine
    Free Member

All the Jack mccoy / billabong films are good.. excellent quality and really well shot. The Joel parkinson – Free as a dog is the most recent. Get him to follow the wct world tour which is in Fiji at the moment and you can watch the live webcasts on the volcom site.

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Litmus
    180 south
    Endless summer 1/2

Sub to Surf europe/ surfers path / Carve

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

+1 for Crystal Voyager

Also try Shelter, Thicker Than Water and the first Billabong Challenge.

headfirst
    Free Member

Talking of subs, Surfer magazine beats the rest hands down (with the exception perhaps of Surfer’s Path but he’s probably a bit young to appreciate that) for the quality and awesomeness of the pictures and locations they feature. I’ve subscribed for years and it works out at less than £2an issue, an absolute bargain.

jam-bo

North Shore, brah.

This..

zippykona

He’s such a little dude. We took him down to Devon and toured the surf spots and shop.
    Getting out of the car he ran over to the boards just to touch them. Then he spent a long time hanging with the staff.
    It’s in him we just need to get it out! Living 200 miles from surf doesn’t help.

jam-bo

Move then.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Move to Wales..

gusamc
    Free Member

tell him to practice on a skateboard/mountain board, and if you have a windsurfing club near you that can be pretty exhilerating (and will give you board balance/water comfort etc etc for surfing so will actually help – it will also open up dinghy/cat/kite surfing etc etc) – ditto canoeing (but I found windsurfing [in the right wind] pretty much as good as surfing and a catamaran can be totally awesome *and uncontrollable)

StirlingCrispin

In addition to the above, Dark Fall: A New Jersey Surf Film is well worth watching.

And, Caught Inside: A Surfer’s Year on the California Coast by Daniel Duane is an excellent read.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

he ran over to the boards just to touch them. Then he spent a long time hanging with the staff.

Were they mostly telling him to keep his mitts off their fragile fibreglass?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a surf video/book.’ is closed to new replies.