Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Recommend me a sub £1k rigid mtb for winter.
  • mjsmke

Thinking ahead for the winter months when it’s very boggy and don’t like riding my full sus and would like an alternative to my rigid single speed. I love my SS but on long rides I wish I had gears to keep up with others on faster flatter areas.

So… looking for a 650b (non plus) rigid xc bike under £1k. I even thought about a cx bike for a while but would rather an mtb for winter. I like rigid bikes in the winter so there’s little maintenance needed.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ve just bought the Cannondale 29er rigid in the classifieds. It has an EBB so I may change it to SS but currently its 1×9.

mjsmke

I’ll keep an eye on classifieds. Looking for 27.5 rather than 29 though.

beefheart
    Free Member

Fatty

rossburton
    Free Member

I was thinking this a while back, and CRC’s Vitus range certainly had some interesting looking bikes for the money.

danceswithferrets
    Free Member
    wukfit
    Free Member

Marin Pine Mountain 1
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/marin-pine-mountain-1-275-9675-p.asp

It’s plus sized tyres though, which may not be best in winter, but it’s £650 so it leaves a lot of change for upgrades

steve_b77
    Free Member

That genesis thingy

iain65
    Free Member

Trek Stache 5 – just over a grand but a great bike and good resale value.

edhornby

Get an alfine rear wheel for your single speed

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Give your full sus a 200 quid service every month , should last the winter and have money left over for beer and warming pub pies.

spooky_b329

A £200 service every month?! I’d rather take up walking!

leythervegas
    Free Member

My frame thats just gone up for sale in the classifieds would build up into a great ss.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/lovely-steel-hardtail-frame-large-275-with-free-dropper

mjsmke

Give your full sus a 200 quid service every month , should last the winter and have money left over for beer and warming pub pies.

Thats kind of the reason I’m after a cheapish winter bike to avoid those service costs.

coomber
    Free Member

That servicing comment was a joke no?

After winter a rigid bike might need new drive train and pads. About 200 quid and then you still have a bike that’s worth something and running great.

I’d go karate monkey by the way. Or singular swift

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

my 2p

2017 Cooker 1

Everything you’re asking for, except it’s 650b +

mjsmke

That charge does look nice. 650b+ might not be ideal in the mud though.

Am I mad in thinking about a CX bike?

kerley
    Free Member

Am I mad in thinking about a CX bike?

Yes, as you stated ‘very boggy’ – a CX bike is not great for very boggy. ALthough it would be great for keeping up with others on long flat parts.

jimdubleyou

I’m tempted by the Genesis Vagabond (thingie above?) for similar duties.

Also, the Pinnacle Ramin Plus, and that Marin.

mjsmke

That Pinnacle Ramin looks great! Something like that that’s not plus would be perfect for me. I could always sell the wheels and tyres though.

a11y

*ahem*

Singular Swift complete bike in the STW classifieds for well under £1k

Yes it’s 29er not 650b but it’ll take 650b wheels 😉

Northwind

TBH factory rigids often don’t make a lot of sense, they’re very niche and that can push the price up and they tend not to come with the nicest parts. At a grand it’s worth considering buying a hardtail then sticking an exotic carbon fork on it I reckon.

Might I ask, why 27.5? 29er makes a hell of a lot of sense for rigid.

(and without derailing too much… The real world additional costs of hardtail vs rigid are absolutely trivial in the grand scheme of things, and modern parts don’t break as soon as it gets muddy. A basic preventative fork lowers service, clean and new lube, costs about 50p. If it’s for N+1 then it’s a great excuse but it doesn’t generally add up otherwise.)

mjsmke

I have thought about buying a hard tail and putting rigid forks on it. Regarding wheel size there’s 2 reasons I want to stick with 27.5. The first being I’m only 5ft4 and don’t get on with the larger wheels. 27.5 just feels right for me. And since my full sus is 27.5 it means I might have the flexibility of swapping wheels and tyres if I need to though not too important of axles are different.

cheese@4p

I would go for the Cannondale Trail SL 29. You may get one new for under £600 which gives you more than enough spare to add decent brakes. I love mine to bits.
    It’s SS and 29″ though.

amedias
    Free Member

Get an alfine rear wheel for your single speed

^ that

schmiken

An Inbred will take 650b wheels – my singlespeed and my wife’s hard tails are both 26″ Inbreds running 650 wheels.

thelinkedinman
    Free Member

If you’re thinking winter fitness and reduce service bills how about a Surly pugsley, big fat tyres, work out (cough) weight of bike and in budget as single speed too.

Come summer your full sus would be a rocket!

James

simonlovell999
    Free Member

Second hand, built a old skool 26 kona caldera with carbon forks, bars and seatpost for less than £300. My only bike that I use on and off road and commuting. Does the job perfectly

dahedd
    Free Member

Voodoo Wazoo, £500 at Halfords (its thinner tyred siblings would also do I suppose) Definitely my winter ride, safe destroying my Stumpie.

Clink

Keeping on the Ramin theme, obvious choice is Ramin One. 29er, gears, rigid. Good geo too.

kimbers

Bird zero and sell the forks?

AndyRT
    Free Member

Also thinking cx with serious mud tyres. You know, chalk clag serious. Do they do 38mm wet screams?

mjsmke

Now I’m thinking about the new Whyte 901. It will match my 2015 T130 works well too!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a sub £1k rigid mtb for winter.’ is closed to new replies.