Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a strimmer and a hedge trimmer?
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

Is better to go petrol or electric?
    This is for unruly gardens, with bramble and weeds. Hedge is box, and needs trimming twice a year.

So this multi thing – is it worth it or will it be a load of crap?

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garden-tools/strimmers/sct501-52cc-five-in-one-multi-tool

submarined
    Free Member

A) there’s never a question. Always petrol 😀

B) imho the ‘all in one’things are very much ‘Jack of all trades, master of none’.

Can’t help on the hedge trimmer as I have a crap electric Bosch one. Strimmer, however, I have a Stihl fs40, and it’s great. Only issue is the auto line feed is ****.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Stihl make a multi use job, but its mega money.

matt_outandabout

bramble and weeds.

IME – four years from jungle to lawn(ish) – if you get on top of brambles for a couple of years the need for lots of strimming becomes less. I bought cheapest Stihl strimmer, its been worth its weight and now is used a lot less than before.

5plusn8
    Free Member

yeah this my plan to get it to lawn…

Murray

I’ve got the Ryobi equivalent – not as nice as a Stihl or Husquavarna but fine for garden and clearing local trails use.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I have a petrol Stihl long reach hedge trimmer and it’s made a job that absolutely hated [when using a normal electric trimmer] into one that’s not bad at all.
    So much quicker and easier.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Don’t buy cheap tools. That will break after little use or just not start next year.

I use this lightweight echo petrol strimmer nearly every day (mainly just trimming grass edges)
    https://www.forestandarb.com/iqs/dbitemid.324/ldicdb16ops.%5B13%5D/sfa.view/Strimmers_Brushcutters.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAl8rQBRDrARIsAEW_To9rZAMICvlPNdHoUjvxEAQl6tlONIc1uovGNgrBC03iXHr9ik-uI0AaAnaSEALw_wcB

And also have a few echo hedge cutters which have been faultless (All echo stuff comes with a 5 year domestic warranty)

I’d be tempted to buy a strimmer and hire a hedge trimmer for a weekend to see how you get on doing it.. it’s quite hard-work if you’ve never spent the day using one).

Don’t forget decent eye and ear PPE

Rockape63
    Free Member

petrol strimmer defo…. Ive had two cheapish mculloch ones that have been very reliable.

For the box and other bits, I have a B & Q Mcallister lithium battery hedge trimmer and its surprising good. Cuts through some pretty chunky stuff and no cable to cut through either, which is a bonus.

mikejd

I have a Ryobi petrol strimmer which has seen a good few years use but after replacing the crankcase gasket has never been the same.

I bought one of those 5-in-1 things. Strimmer Ok but tried the chainsaw and it stripped the gear in the head after 20 minutes use, Vibration from the engine means I can only use for about 1/2 hour before having to stop.

I also have a Draper strimmer which has been the best for about 3 years. Recently just stopped for no apparent reason. I discussed with their service department and they repaired under warranty despite the age (although I suspect this was down to the service engineer) and now it’s good to go again.

boblo
    Free Member

I bought a Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer years ago to tame several hundred metres of 12′ high conifer. It’s still a hateful job involving many trips to the tip but at least the trimmer doesn’t make it any worse. It’s been totally dependable in ~15 years and mostly just gets the odd sharpen with a file.

I also bought a Husquavana 525RX brushcutter recently to take out to France. It replaces a ~20 year old Sovereign catalogue jobbie that’s been OK if not a bit frustrating as the bump feed never worked well and the machine always ran a bit temperamentaly. I can’t personally vouch for the Husqy yet as it still adorns the hall though they get decent reviews.

I wouldn’t piss about with battery unless it’s a tiddly job as you’re always waiting for it to charge and I definitely wouldn’t go mains powered due to the cable restrictions.

Houns

For brushcutter go for the blade not line. Stihl auto line jobs have been launched in to the undergrowth in a fit of frustration too many times. The blades are lethal though!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Stihl.

submarined
    Free Member

I’m properly ‘casual’ when it comes to safety, but i wouldn’t advise a bladed brush cutter unless
    A) you reeeally need one
    B) you’ve had a smidge of training
    C) you have the proper PPE, ie appropriate reinforced boots, trousers, etc. They are absolutely brutal, and can do a serious amount of damage. Think chainsaw levels of maiming.

poolman
    Free Member

I have a stihl brushcutter and hitachi hedgetrimmer, both petrol. Much abused, several parts fitted ovef the years. Saves loads of time, avoid electric omes you l just ut the wire.

Re protective clothing, its a must. Brushcutter flicks up stones that really hurt your shins, facemask has been hit a few times too. You should get the starter kit of ear defenders, face mask etc.

windyg
    Free Member

Stihl for strimmers and hedgetrimmers and you’ll only ever have to buy once.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I bought a used Stihl fs450 about five years ago, Ive cleared and maintained a long driveway and woodland undergrowth with it. For brambles you really need a three pointed blade. I’ve not had any of the bumpfeed issues other have with the Stihl autocut head. Get yourself a big drum of cord, it will last years.

With a bigger machine you really need a harness and PPE. The first day I used mine a stone flicked up, flew the width of the drive and was still flying at head height for a cars width when it smashed the rear window of my DIscovery.

Our hedges are topiariazed and we still do that by hand. Forearms like Popeye are guaranteed

5plusn8
    Free Member

Local garden place has the stihl stuff. I am going shopping tomorrow.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a strimmer and a hedge trimmer?’ is closed to new replies.