• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by fadda.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • recommend me a soundbar
  • manderson
    Free Member

When we changed the telly last year the poor sound quality was striking. Thinking about a soundbar but would like to know from STW…

1. Are they worth it?
    2. Which one? We have other sonos speakers so tempted by theirs but it’s twice the cost of a Sony or samsung one… I need convincing

Thanks!

allthegear
    Free Member

Dunno if it’s any good but there was one for sale in Sainsburys yesterday for £30. Must be worth just buying to find out!

Rachel

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

The “Cambridge Minx” sound-base is supposed to be a good audio performer & reasonably priced. I am considering one myself…

kimbers

There’s a Sony sounbase going on lightning deal later today

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I went to buy a soundbar last year and was unconvinced. I listened to the PlayBar and bought one straight away, my first bit of Sonos kit.

Pretty good for music, very good for TV.
    It’s large and expensive.
    It will allow you to group with your other Sonos kit abs play your TV around your house as well as usual Sonos streaming.
    If you have kit already it is well worth a demo to see if it’s worth the extra cash for you.
    Another possible consideration is that you can use the network ports as a switch, so I have the TV and freesat box plugged in to the PlayBar, nice and simple.

david47
    Free Member

I bought the the Cambridge Minx for Christmas, and love it so far, basic controls, but sounds so much better than the telly… And we stream spotify to it happily via Bluetooth.
    Built so the tv can stand on top….

manderson
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

If you are thinking Sonos, they are giving away a free years subscription to Deezer until 31st December:

http://johnlewis.scene7.com/is/content/JohnLewis/sonos_redemptiondetails_071014pdf

So if you already subscribe to a music service, you could cancel that and offset the year’s saving against the Sonos kit.

luffy105
    Free Member

If you have sonos already then stick with it. Yes it’s more expensive but for integration alone the difference is worth it.

I bought an lg soundbar as my TV is lg so bought it thinking it would integrate with the tv and it doesn’t. I still have to use another bloody remote. Don’t know why but it really winds me up having to use more than one remote just to watch the TV.

I will be moving all to sonos as soon as I can afford it

cranberry
    Free Member

Luffy – get yourself a Logitech Harmony remote – much better than using multiple remotes.

clicky!

They can be had for substantially less if you shop around a bit – think mine was around £160 from Richer Sounds.

Jolsa

Might have this wrong, but from reading up on the Sonos Playbar it doesn’t handle DTS audio.

Therefore I wouldn’t get any sound if playing an mkv file that had DTS audio?

Shame, as I’d add the Playbar to my existing Sonos if it did. For now I’m using a Yamaha YAS-101 which has decent sound without the need for a separate sub.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

JBL SB400. Staggeringly good.

fadda

I bought the denon from hyperfi, after my previous thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-a-tv-sound-base

Very pleased with the improvement!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a soundbar’ is closed to new replies.