Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • recommend me a small nice hotel in scotland
  • fenboy

looking for something to take my 6mnth pregnant wife for a break. max 3-4hrs from edinburgh/fife. 2-3 nights, good food a must.

something like the applecross inn (too far from where we are for short break)

anyone have any recommendations please?? thanks

gecko76

Poppies in Callendar.

Small, friendly, great food.

druidh
    Free Member

What do you want to do while you're there (keep it clean at the back)?

Glengarry Castle Hotel.
    Bridge of Orchy Hotel.
    Cluanie Inn.

liquid1000
    Free Member

The Boat Hotel in Boat of Garten not far from Aviemore and Cairngorms

fenboy

druidh, what we want to do is just mooch around, couple of walks etc relax eat some nice food and have a few drinks (well me anyway!)

thats the kind of thing! just checking those recommendations now thanks

druidh
    Free Member

B of O and the Cluanie are mibbes a wee bit remote. Glengarry has more options I reckon.

bedmaker

Pool House is beautiful. Not cheap but really nice.

TimS
    Free Member

What about the Oystercatcher http://www.theoystercatcher.co.uk in Otter Ferry (over the hill from Tighnabruaich) on Loch Fyne. Good food, excellent beer, there's a holiday park next door and it feels like it's miles form anywhere, despite being 20 miles from Glasgow as the crow flies.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Oban calidonian in Oban…suprise. Nice and quiet and we got a room overlooking the harbour and islands. Food was good and there is a good pancake place just down the road.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Oban calidonian in Oban…suprise. Nice and quiet and we got a room overlooking the harbour and islands. Food was good and there is a good pancake place just down the road.

desf
    Free Member

We went to Monachyle Mhor many years ago (before kids) and it was fabulous. Looks pretty pricey now but my folks were there a couple of years ago and loved it.

MrGreedy

Balcary Bay near Kirkcudbright maybe? Not stayed there but the restaurant is very impressive and the location is amazing, superb views and a dramatic clifftop walk a stone's throw away.

desf
    Free Member

Another good place was Churches in Eyemouth. Not an obvious location but good sea air and great seafood.

eldridge
    Free Member

max 3-4hrs from edinburgh/fife

Head South! That sort of time frame will take you comfortably into England (Cumbria/Northumberland) where you will find infinitely better food and much nicer people.

fenboy

thanks for all the tips, we had thought of monachyle mhor originally but its a bit too pricey.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Fenboy, ring up Monachyle Mhor and try to get a bit of a deal if its for a couple of nights D,B + B. Fantastic service and food – worth every penny. We go a couple of times a year as its only an hour from us.

Some friends stayed at The Cross in Kingussie a couple of months ago and really rated it for food and rooms – and one of them is a bit of a foodie. Close to Aviemore/Cairngorms for walks etc

MussEd
    Free Member

Another prop for Monachyll Mhor – lovely setting, greta food and nice room. Worth it for special occasion.

slowclimb
    Free Member

Definitely Monachyle Mhor, been a couple of times recently, amazing place in an amazing setting.
    http://www.mhor.net ….. go on go on go on 🙂

fenboy

at min 270 a night for DB&B its too much, i want to spend that for 2-3 nights!! withoot dinner though!!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Crinan Hotel.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Crinan Hotel<

Seconded – practically in the ocean

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Pushing the 3-4 hours bit, but the Applecross Inn in Applecross is nice. Applecross is quite nice, but the trip there is fantastic, taking you bu Eilean Donan

and Loch Carron

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

The Glenmoriston townhouse hotel in Inverness has some great rooms and the food downstairs in Abstract is excellent.

The Albannach in Lochinver is out of this world in excellence and distance.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a small nice hotel in scotland’ is closed to new replies.