Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a Scottish highland and island road trip itenary
  • cheers_drive

My girlfriend has never been to Scotland (she is Danish so at least has an excuse) so I thought a long weekend road trip around the highlands and an island or two would make a nice birthday present for her.
    Has anyone got any suggestion of must sees / dos? Needs to start and finish from Inverness

flatfish
    Free Member

Are you and mrs drive riding whilst up there or just driving?

cheers_drive

Unfortunately just driving (about her only fault is she hates cycling), but good point that it’s something that needs clarifying when posting on a mountain bike forum.

flatfish
    Free Member

Flying Brizzle to Inverness then hiring a car?

tiggs121
    Free Member

Drive to Fort William – Glenfinnan – Mallaig – ferry to Skye – Portree – Uig -ferry to Lochmaddy on North Uist – ferry to Harris – beaches on West coast – Callanish – Stornoway – ferry to Ullapool – Inverness.

flatfish
    Free Member

Tiggs121, is it worth the extra ferry to Uist. Why not ferry from Uig to Tarbert, down east coast of Harris, up west coast of Harris then carry on up to stornoway?
    I’ve not been to Uist before so i’m just wondering.

cheers_drive

Flying Brizzle to Inverness then hiring a car?

That was the plan. I’ve been to Inverness a couple of times but only to support my ex in a marathon and I also rode the Great Glen Way for which was nice but you didn’t get to see much other than great views of Lochs.

Thanks tiggs

tiggs121
    Free Member

Flatfish

Good idea – North Uist is nice as is Bernaray but probably not worth the extra ferry as you suggest.

Not sure of ferry times or if this trip is possible over a long weekend.

flatfish
    Free Member

How about driving by Kyle of Lochalsh (where you might see a Nuclear sub thats ran aground 😉 ) and visiting Eilean Donan castle(Highlander the movie fame) instead of the ferry from Mallaig to Armadale.

druidh
    Free Member

Is this after Easter? If so, then take the Glenelg ferry to Skye. It’s not an island trip if you’re not on a ferry at some point.

So – leave Inverness, head for Fort Augustus and then West to Kintail. Ferry to Skye. Lots to see and do there before getting the bridge back over, then heading for Applecross, Torridon, Gairloch & Poolewe. Head back to Inverness from there.

Trust me – that’s more than enough driving if you actually want to enjoy the weekend.

cheers_drive

It will be mid May so yes after Easter.

Thanks for the suggestions

sweepy
    Free Member

Its not a drive if you dont go over the Beallach na ba, amazing road. Then stop overnight at the Applecross Inn for amazing food, bar with a great atmosphere, and basic but nice room for the night.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Danes usually love Scotland. Play her non stop Runrig CDs in the car. I like the sound of druidhs plan personally.

cbike
    Free Member

Uist looks like bits of Denmark. Go somewhere higher. Jura, mull, or druidhs skye route sounds good.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Druidh has it

You don’t want to spend the entire time driving.

The jacobite express might be worth doing – a steam train fort william to mallaig – one of the great train journeys of the world.

cheers_drive

I think I saw the Jocobite express on Coast or something similar, I’ll take a look.

gusamc
    Free Member

Doing Scotland with gf in May

http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/
    http://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/jacobite/Jacobite_Details.html
    http://www.lochkatrine.com/steamship.html

drive Coast road Applecross to Torridon
    visit Plockton (seal/otter trips at Kyle of Lochash – Skye)
    Skye – visit Quiraing (easy walk)

islander

Inverness to Kyle and Run round Skye then cross to Mallaig down to Kilchoan to get ferry to Mull. Trip round Mull and out by LochAline and up to Fort William and onto Inverness by Laggan/Newtonmore if time allows. If you get a Cal Mac Hopscotch ticket will save a few pounds.

Kunstler

Druidh’s plan seems a good one but for the way out to Skye I would drive down to Fort William and then take the ‘Road to the Isles’ through Glenfinnan, Arisaig and ferry from Mallaig to Skye.

This takes you on one the most iconically scenic roads in Scotland and past some of the most beautiful beaches anywhere. There are also great views of the small isles on this route.

Arisaig:

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Scottish highland and island road trip itenary’ is closed to new replies.