Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • recommend me a scotch
  • grynch
    Free Member

Ok I know this has been done ( multiple times? ) before.. but can anyone recommend a nice scotch…

It’s my brother in laws 50th birthday in a couple of weeks and I wanted to get him a nice bottle.

His last trip over here he enjoyed an 18yr old Laphroaig I had.. although I think he did find it too peaty ( didn’t stop him drinking it tho !! )

And he also had a touch or two of a 15 year old GlenFid

Come to think………….I think he should be buying ME a bottle.

grynch
    Free Member

p.s.. mrs. is thinking this…

http://www.gettingpersonal.co.uk/personalised-gifts/personalised-birthday-whisky.htm

I think the sentiment is nice, but I wonder if the whiskey would be drinkable.

mudshark
    Free Member

Check this out:

Whisky ratings

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well if he like the Laphroaig then a bottle of 16yo Lagavaulin would probably be what I’d recommend. an Islay malt but without the really strong flavour of Laphroaig. You will not find a better Whisky for the money.

grynch
    Free Member

what a combo.. mudshark and gonefishing.. *L*:

thanks guys.

tankslapper
    Free Member

I’m partial to a drop of Strathisla me self!

Depends if you like the ‘antiseptic’ taste of the west coast malts or the smoothness of Speyside.

DM52
    Free Member

mmmmm Talisker for me! – although I can’t recommend it if brother in law is not into peaty malts.

stcolin
    Free Member

Hop.

cranberry
    Free Member

Lagavaulin

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Bells, with a good glug of pepsi max

crikey
    Free Member

Talisker
    Balvennie
    Bruichladdich.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Highland Park – just pick whatever age suits your budget. Less peaty than Islay, but still with a fair bit of peat in there, and very very drinkable.

grumm
    Free Member

Lagavulin thirded – fantastic whisky.

grynch
    Free Member

and again thanks all.. well… except maybe you Steve A. *urgghhhh* 😥

grynch
    Free Member

and I think I’m gonna have to check out this Lgavulin for myself.. altho I don’t drink much of the whiskey in summer months.

timothecimmerian

Lagavulin, Talisker, Highland Park. Had a bottle of 18yr old Highland Park as a leaving present from a client a few years back….very nice indeed.

ransos
    Free Member

Highland Park is probably the safest choice mentioned here – it’s an all-rounder so is less likely to offend if there’s a particular trait that he doesn’t like.

I find Laphroaig a bit medicinal so would agree with the other recommendations for Talisker or Lagavulin, but they do both have peat in. Another Islay whisky not mentioned is Bunnahabhain. It’s a cracker – full bodied, smooth, and less peaty than you’d expect.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Caol Isla
    Highland Park
    Macallan 18 cask strength (mind those eyebrows)
    Laphroaig 15 double cask

mmmmmm whisky

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Aberfoyle, bit sweeter than most I’ve tried (therefore nicer as I’m not that keen!). My seasoned whisky drinking brother-in-law loved it.

kinda666
    Free Member

Went on the Whisky tour in edinburgh last weekend, turns out speyside is my whisky of choice! :o) Got my mate a bottle of balvennie doublewood for his birthday, hope he likes it!

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

18 yo Highland Park. Fantastic. The 12yo is good but the 18 just knocks the socks off of many other (some more expensive) whiskies. Should be able to pick it up for around £50-60. Not so sure about that personalised one. The sentiment is nice but the whisky could be a little generic with no sparkle to it. If you want a personalised drink get him a cheap bottle of fizz with a personalised label.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a scotch’ is closed to new replies.