Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me a route starting at the Roman Lakes in marple
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

20-25 miles for intermediate riders with a few bits of greatness chucked in
    AQbout 5 hours of riding

Got OL1 and memory map – GPX traces would be cool

GavinB

I’ve got a great route for you, ah, you want one that’s 20-25 miles. Sorry, mine is 19 – why do have to be so precise?

Head across to Strines Station, up to the Fox Inn, up the side of the golf course, up left to the stables, head past Aspenshaw Hall to bridleway crossing, right, down to Birch Vale, up Chinley Churn by whatever route just make sure you end up riding all the way from the top down Far Phoside, across main road at the bottom, skirting Hayfield, heading up to Highgate Head via farm track then bridleway, down and join Coldwell Clough descent, back into Hayfield, up Twenty Trees (or is it Twelve, I can never decide?) until you get to Middle Moor/Shooting Cabin, head north and enjoy the bestest but of track around Hayfield. Find your way back to your car after a few pints in the Royal in Hayfield.

That clear?

BadlyWiredDog

Twenty Trees (or is it Twelve, I can never decide?)

Nnnnnn…nineteen 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

can you be more precise 😉

don’t suppose this is on a map site anywhere?

BadlyWiredDog

It’s definitely 19, how precise do you want? Oh, you mean the route. I know where he means. Have a look on an OS map, it’s all dead obvious, really.

GavinB

i think there was a STW ride a few weekends ago – ‘Peak Pootle’ or something. I’m sure one of that group has a gpx file of it, as reading the forum messages, it sounds as if that was something like their route.

GavinB

Try this Map my Ride link

Done from memory,so may be a little ‘off’ at points

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve just mailed you a gpx file as well, I must be bored 🙂

bedraggled
    Free Member

There’s a booklet with routes, free on the website, the printed version is only a pound.

http://www.romanlakes.co.uk/mountain_bikingpage.htm

carlos
    Free Member

Hey Rob, if you fancy it let me know when and if I can make it I’ll show you round Gav’s route, it’s a nice ride but from the end of Middle Moor back to the Roman Lakes there’s a chunk of road though.

Carlos

rob-jackson
    Free Member

carl – i fancy it in 2 weekedns time if you are around

monksie
    Free Member

“from the end of Middle Moor back to the Roman Lakes there’s a chunk of road though”

Not if you cut across to Lantern Pike. You can then come back via Robin Hood’s Picking Rods, Old Quarry, Mellor Church, Mellor Cross and Roman Lakes or Lantern Pike, Shouty Dog Farm, Rowarth, Mellor Cross, Roman Lakes.

I did some of the latter today.

carlos
    Free Member

Weekend 9th/10th July I’m good for either day, just let me know what suits, where to meet and what time.

Monksie – I was thinking more the steep road climb upto Lantern Pike through Blackshaw Farm or the drag towards The Grouse and then onto Mattley Moor, then the bit from The Mill in Rowarth back along Shiloh Road to Pole Lane before taking in Black lane, The Cross, The Banks etc..

nbt

I think at 23.49 mile, the STW northern peaks chapter pootle is almost bang on what you want. It’s more or less Gav’s route with Monksie’s suggestion of cutting back via Lantern Pike and Rowarth. We were out for just over 5 hours

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/11537800

nbt

Oh and you can export from MapMyRide to gpx somehow, long while since I’ve done it though as I don’t have GPS 🙂

GavinB

Neither do I, which is why most of that route was rattled off from memory! Yup, there are tons of options from the end of Middle Moor.

I guess to keep on tracks and off the road, the Lantern Pike/Shouty Dog Farm/Rowarth bit works well, but then to keep more off road, you could then re-join ‘my’ route, head over Cown Edge, then head back over to Marple via Mellor. More direct would be to head up to Mellor Cross.

All are good! 🙂

monksie
    Free Member

Sorry, I wasn’t being intentionally arguemenative.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a route starting at the Roman Lakes in marple’ is closed to new replies.