Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Recommend me a route – Dulverton
  • andybanks
    Free Member

Lucky to be spending a few days with family down in Dulverton (Gateway to Exmoor) in a few weeks and have a pass for a ride.

Can anyone point me in the direction some nice routes? Ideally something with some nice flowing descents, and I don’t mind climbing.

Cheers

sideshow
    Free Member

Hey, my folks live near there.

If you look in the Vertebrate south west guide there is a ride that starts from Dulverton and goes north to Winsford, but it’s not all that good really, and last time I checked the main descent had been wiped out by forestry works… avoid.

Nearest good stuff I’d say is Horner Wood and Dunkery Beacon, a bit of a drive to the north. Dunkery itself has a long descent going east from the summit which gets very rocky towards the bottom. Horner wood I’m told has quite a bit of singletrack though I haven’t had time to explore it yet. Hawk Combe a couple of miles north of Horner Wood is a fun flowy descent.

The vertebrate guide has a few routes in the area between Dulverton and Dunkery, none of them really stand out for me though. Nice rambling-over-fields-on-a-bike territory with maybe a drovers road descent or two but nothing outstanding. Then again I have done them in wettest winter months, they should be dry right now at least! I thought the Withypool one was the nicest and probably links ok to the winsford-exford one which I haven’t done yet.

Haddon hill (by Wimbleball reservoir) has a good bridleway descent coming southwest off it, the best continuation (though cheeky) is to ride up the valley then lap the reservoir as close as you can on gently undulating techy singletrack.

Last but not least the Quantocks are no further afield than Dunkery and are covered in amazing rides as you probably already know. (If you don’t already know that then definitely get on them – the “classic singletrack” ride, again in vertebrate, covers the best flowy bits imo).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a route – Dulverton’ is closed to new replies.