Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a road gilet
  • Netdonkey

Can you help, looking for a road gilet I have about £60 to spend and want to buy it via a LBS I have looked at the Santini 365 sushi and the Castelli Leggero but I am looking for inspiration.

Ta

ND

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi – love mine

atlaz
    Free Member

I have a castelli one. Very happy with it, I’ll buy another if/when it dies

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Endura Lazer and loads of beer.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

+1 for the pearl izumi, pretty windproof, reflective joins/stitched bits, does the job to take a chill off. Not thermal but thats a different question.

tracknicko
    Free Member

i have that there santini one.

what are you looking for from a gilet?

it isnt waterproof. and has a lighter weight back. its great for summer evenings when the sun goes down a bit, but isnt a warm thing particularly.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I use my Gore Countdown AS gilet on the road bike & it’s perfect imho. I find the cut of Gore stuff is usually very good & it’s definitely less flappy than my Pearl Izumi gilet of a similar size.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

if its just a plain pertex/nylon gilet, like 90% are, then you may as well just go for the cheapest. Mine is from DHB.

tonyd

pedalhead +1

iainc

pedalhead +2. I like the fact that the Gore one is cut well for both roadie lycra and mtb baggy wear

Netdonkey

Thanks for all your replies, I am looking for something more to take the chill / spray / wind off in autumn rather than a summer evening gilet so that is interesting about the Santini Tracknicko, off to the LBS to try a few on.

Cheers

tracknicko
    Free Member

dont get me wrong its a great gilet and packs up super small. but i have an altura commuting one that is 3x as thick, and a lot warmer as a result.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I bought the windslam DHB one, it’s a close fitting number and won’t look out of place either on or off road. A bargain at £24 as well.

D0NK

I like my lusso tactel one, hiviz version available, £25ish
    Used to have a gore windstopper one, more wind proof and packed down into it’s own pocket but didn’t like the fit.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

you really need to try some on. Some look great but just don’t fit that well. I’ve tried Endura, Gore, Craft, Castelli, and so on and the only one that really fitted properly was Campag…

Netdonkey

Tried a few on last night, It appears from a fit point of view that being short of torso does make a difference, which has eliminated Specialized at least. Thanks for all the advice, I will keep trying them on

mooman
    Free Member

Gore Wear gets my vote.
    Waterproof/windproof front.
    Pockets at back and slits for easy access to jersey pockets. And its meshed backed for breathability.
    Best i have found.

mooman
    Free Member

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a road gilet’ is closed to new replies.