Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • recommend me a rim for the Alps
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

currently running a DT 5.1 on the rear on my 456 hardtail.

I’m going to take this bike out to the Alps again this summer and although the 5.1 has been fine the last two Alp trips, I want a burlier one for peace of mind this time.

Will be running a 2.4 tyre so not super wide. Thinking maybe a Dt 6.1 or a Mavic EX325/EX721.

Doesn’t need to be DH tough+wide, just a bit tougher than an ‘enduro’ rim.

Onzadog
    Free Member

What you have will still work in the alps. Last time we went, the wife was riding 317s. The time before that, four of our group were riding what ever rim come as standard on a six hundred quid hardtail. However, if you want a recommendation for a light, tough, wide rim, fit a flow.

mildred

Ex325’s are a ridiculous weight, and coupled with the bigger tyres generally recommended for Alps riding, it made my bike feel quite different. I used xm321’s for years without any issues. I’m now tubeless so swap between 819’s & 823’s depending on the riding (i.e. DH or xc focussed).

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sun SOS or Mavic 321. I use the Suns and they are cheap (£23) tough and not too heavy. Mine have done 2 alp trips without any maintenance and I built the rear myself. The Mavics are heavier but I would say probably even tougher. I built one for a mate and he’s been doing 30+ ft gap jumps on it and it’s not moved. Cheap and cheerful is the way forewords IMO 🙂

Taff
    Free Member

Either stick with your current spec or as PP said. Just make sur the build is good otherwise even the strongest rim will be crap

RustyMac

Ride it till you break it then replace it. there is a cheap DT EX5.1D rim on ebay just now linky replace like for like and you shouldn’t have the expense of all new spokes.

Just my thoughts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a rim for the Alps’ is closed to new replies.