Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Recommend me a region free DVD player
  • PJay
    Free Member

I remember when DVD players first arrived all the talk about various regions and discs being encoded to play only on players sold in those regions but I rather assumed that things would have changed with the internet and much easier global trade, but apparently not (the chap in the local shop recons is technically illegal to sell region free players, it’s something to do with licensing laws).

My partner wanted a set of DVD of a series, bizarely despite being a BBC series the DVDs are only avaiable in the states (BBC America). It was easy enough to pick up a set via Amazon in America and our tv should handle NTSC but I suspect that they’ll be Region 1. They could conceiveably be region 0 (any region) or region 1 & 2, which would be fine. Unfortunately they’re sealed and nothing is marked on the box (I’d rather not open them as they’re a gift) and since our current player is on the way out it would make sense to buy a region free player. Can anyone recommend one or a locked one that’s eaily hackable. There are a few on ebay but any recommendations would be helpful. I’m just looking for a bog standard player, affordable and nothing fancy.

I assume that hacking a unit (whether it’s done via hardware or software) would invalidate any warranty.

SSB_UK
    Free Member

http://www.dvdhacks.co.uk/

Lots out there – you might want to check that they are mutiregion out of the box.

I wouldn’t worry about the warranty thing – its a non-issue unless you’re going to open the box and fettle with its innards.

Its worth noting that some blu ray players can also be hacked for dvd multi-region.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a region free DVD player’ is closed to new replies.