Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a rear light, please!
  • asbrooks

In preparation for the darker evening rides (and hopefully getting back on my bike) I’m looking for a rear light with either with a sturdy mounting bracket (i.e. not plastic) or something that sits under the seat out of the way.
    I keep breaking the brackets, I’ve broken 3 off this year already (and I’ve not ridden for a couple of months due to back problems). So, presuming I get back on my bike next month, I’d like something that’l at least see the year out.
    Ta

nemesis
    Free Member

How do you break the brackets? In all my years cycling I’ve never had one break…

jam-bo

knog blinder seems pretty good for me so far.

MisterT

what causes you to break the brackets?

I find the Smart Lunar R2 is a brilliant everyday light, but its not using rechargeable batteries
    I also find the L&M Vis180 to be perfect for more serious use and recharges using micro USB port.

nemesis
    Free Member
    asbrooks

Well, I do fall off regularly!
    Where I ride, there many instances where I have to carry the bike over gates and stuff, for some reason I seem to catch them. Even when I’m being careful.

asbrooks

That smart lunar looks a good bet, not a bad price too.

MisterT

if you are taking them off road, then they are best kept off the bike IMO. if you are wearing a backpack then most have points where you can clip them to your backpack (tip. use a cable tie to secure it properly)

also can be secured to back of helmet, again using zip ties.

iainc

Smart Lunar is great on road but IMO far too bright off road unless you are riding solo without anyone behind you…

For off road (with some road sections) I use on of the cateye ones under the seat, stapped round the saddle rails, which is bright enough on flash mode but wont screw anyone’s night vision. Also allows reverb to operate as normal

MisterT

iainc – too bright off road! – thats a new weirdo one… rear lights are there to be seen by… so strange you say too bright… unless you mean when you are using cheeky trails.

personally turn off rear lights off road… and find when I return to the road I have to wipe a good load of muck off them before use.. a mucky faint rear light is pretty pointless.. a mucky bright light makes a lot more sense.

Dibbs
    Free Member

+1 for the L&M Vis180

iainc

iainc – too bright off road! – thats a new weirdo one… rear lights are there to be seen by… so strange you say too bright… unless you mean when you are using cheeky trails

eh ? riding in a group we mostly use not very bright rear lights while off road – lets you keep track if it gets a bit strung out. If anyone has a bright light that messes up vision of those behind they are usually told so 🙂 . As for cheeky trails, well riding in west of Scotland there ain’t any 🙂

xanboy
    Free Member

+2 for L&M vid 180

hughjengin
    Free Member

+1 Smart Lunar R2, brighter than a very bright thing, which is the whole point. Batteries seem to last for ages, and the units about to start its 3rd Winter, as opposed to the one a year purchases I was making on those long thin Cateye jobbies, which seem to let weather in for fun.

metcalt

I use one of these on my mountain and road bikes:

http://fibreflare.com/

The shorter one fits under the seat quite nicely, with the brackets looped through saddle rails and round the seat post. As they are quite flexible they’re less prone to breakages.

DezB
    Free Member

I was going to recommend the See.Sense but the price has rather risen since I got mine from Kickstarter

bluebird
    Free Member

These are great, and the rubber band type mount is easy to fit remove so you can leave the light in the mount.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/moon/comet-30-rear-light-ec042056

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a rear light, please!’ is closed to new replies.