Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me a post Game of Thrones of read.
  • slinkybike
    Free Member

recommend me a new read just finished the series and I am in withdrawal.

finbar
    Free Member

Joe Abercrombie will scratch the itch.

turtleheading
    Free Member

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Reading it now, and I have to say I’m impressed. As good if not better that game of thrones.
    Check out some reviews, its really worth a read

Garry_Lager

More fantasy? Try the Malazan book of the fallen – Steve Erikson (if you’ve not read it already). Best fantasy series of recent years in terms of the big epics (10 books in the series). Completely different style to GRRM – Erikson is not a man who likes to keep magic low key and in the background.

Quite interesting to compare the two authors – GRRM is a really good writer who is in the process of bolloxing up a series he obviously doesn’t want to write any more. SE is a less good writer who, nevertheless, has produced a far more coherent, successful and sustained set of stories. Probably due to him getting up each morning and actually putting pen to paper (Ten 1000+ books in the time GRRM write 2 I think).

atlaz
    Free Member

The Dragonbone Chair books might do it. A fairly conventional setup but the rest less so and it’s fairly large in scale so should take a while. The nice thing is the author, Tad Williams, will answer questions by email to help explain things or even just to admit he made a mistake somewhere.

scaled
    Free Member

Ha i’m glad this came up, finished the last book without realising that the next one hadnt been written yet :/

Tempted to watch the TV series…

tonyg2003

Joe Abercrombie is great. I’d read Mageborn too.

chvck
    Free Member

Yup loved reading the 2 that are in that series so far, believe the third (and final) is out soonish too. Really struggled to put them down.

kimbers

joe abercrombi:

say one thing for the bloody nine,say hes a bastard 👿

nbt

Malazan book of the fallen

first few books are great, books 6 or so onwards kind of lost me

Joe Abercrombie will scratch the itch.

Yep. Brill books

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Picked that up in Atlanta airport a few years ago – was over halfway through it before we touched down in That London. Just reading The Wise Mans’ Fear now. If you like fantasy, I really cannot stress just how much you should read this book as soon as you can. It’s great

believe the third (and final) is out soonish too.

Given how long it took to produce the second one, I’d expect vol3 to be out in 2014 or so…

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Trudi Canavan… there are three series now – very good.

Kate McIntosh…

A good idea is to go onto Amazon, go to the Game of Thrones books and have a look at what other people bought, and the recommended titles. Buy some secondhand, and boom – loads of books bought cheaply 🙂

MrsToast
    Free Member

Not a fantasy in the traditional sense, but I enjoy the Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel books by Susanna Clark.

matt_bl
    Free Member

I’m reading book 7 of the ‘Malazan book of the fallen’ series. Really good stuff. Some of the books so far I could have read in a single sitting, but for physical requirements getting in the way (Memories of Ice was a favourite).

Once they’re finished I’m knackered, hung up, waiting on Stephen Donaldson, GRRM and Patrick Rothfuss.

Matt

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a post Game of Thrones of read.’ is closed to new replies.