Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommend me a new road helmet
  • reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I need to replace my ageing Uvex helmet for road riding. Is there a go-to helmet these days for a chap with a small bonce ? I am completely out of touch with the retention systems in use at the moment so any advice gratefully received. Preferably under 100 notes and good ventilation essential.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Obvious preface – Buy one that fits!*

Very pleased with my Specialized Airnet. Dreadful name, great helmet. Nice subtle styling, excellent ventilation and some clever touches such as the sunglass ‘grips’. The retention system is very adjustable and comfy. Easy to loosen/tighten on the fly as well.

lazybike
    Free Member

I like my Kask Mojito..

iainc

I got a Kask Mojito today, unfortunately the straps foul the end of the legs of my prescription specs so it’s going back, which is a shame as it’s nicely finished and very comfy.

Have ordered a Giro Cinder MIPS and a Synthe MIPS, though the latter is too expensive unless it fits better than anything else…

surfingobo
    Free Member

Giro Foray Mips, £45 at Wiggle.

Same as the Synthe but they’ve opened the aero bits into vents so it’s £100 less, suits me!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/giro-foray-road-helmet-mips/

By far the most comfortable helmet I’ve ever had and the extra protection of MIPS can only be an advantage.

jonba
    Free Member

Fit more than anything. But I like my Bell Gage. Plenty knocking about for <£100. Ribble had some.

Giro are also good in my experience.

Haze

Kask Mojito is good, much prefer my Protone though…over budget but worth it if you can stretch a bit!

matt007
    Free Member

Kask Mojito again here, finish detailing was much better than some helmets at twice the price when I compared them in the shop, but most importantly it fits my head like a glove.

One thing I’ve learned from experience, I’ll never buy another helmet without trying one on in a shop. Bought a few online previously that I’ve found uncomfortable.

TiRed

If you ride Giro off road, I’ve found their road helmets to be the same fit. My head isn’t Kask shaped, but medium Giro just disappear

nathb
    Free Member

Another Kask Mojito user here.

£63 from Shopto

My next helmet is the Kask Infinity though….

lunge

I’ve recently bought my wife one of the Carnac helmets at Planet X and am very impressed with it. Light, well finished, comfortable and looks good too. £25 too which helps. I liked hers so much that I bought one for myself.

Bar that, Specialized is what I normally buy, pick your budget and go from there, they’re all good.

aroyalnit
    Free Member

(eventually) happy Kask Mojito owner here. They’re well known for not playing nicely with glasses arms, and didn’t with mine until the glasses fell apart (a cheap-ish set of DHB’s I took over from the GF after she upgraded)

I’ve replaced them with a pair of Rudy Project Rydon’s since, which have nicely adjustable arms, and they fit great.

Sweat management on hot / rainy days doesn’t seem as good as my old Spesh Propero, I have far more incidences of sweat running into my eyes.

Try on potential helmets with your favourite / current glasses!

RustySpanner

Very pleased with my Specialized Airnet. Dreadful name, great helmet. Nice subtle styling,

RustySpanner

Oops, can’t seem to link to a picture of a Mario Mushroom.

Airnets are extremely comfy, but a bit, you know, big. 🙂
    At least they go with your shoes Flashy.

prawny

I’ve got a Foray MIPS, it’s OK, but not as nice as my old Sine Thesis that I couldn’t afford to replace.

Edit – looks like the sine thesis is dead now anyway but the rivale looks ace for £65.

Hmmmmmmm.

ransos
    Free Member

Lazer. Extremely comfortable, and you can fit an aeroshell cover which keeps the wind out on cold winter rides.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

At least they go with your shoes Flashy.

Hardly!

😉

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Lid recommendation is a bit dodgy subject.

Especially that everybody have slightly different shape of head.

Helmet must fit. Period. If it doesn’t fit like a glove, no matter how flashy, practical and feature packed it is, give it a miss.

Can’t fit into my shapeless head any Giro helmets. They are just sticking out, not cradling the head.

Bell, Spesh and XL Mets are OK.

Try as many as you can and then select best fitting.

Cheers!
    I.

iainc

Giro Synthe MIPS arrived earlier this morning. It is I think the most comfy helmet I have tried and fits perfectly. My quest may be over 😀

Daffy

I had a Protone, but the central ridge rubbed on the slightly raised portion at the center of my forehead. I now have a Giro Synthe MIPs. It’s not as nice as the Protone, but does fit.

maxlite
    Free Member

20% off helmets at Ribble at moment!

frankconway

Evans clearance – lots to choose from in small and some bargain prices; some MIPS, others not.

Go and try some on – don’t buy unless you do!

Drakes in Leeds – C/dale Teramo £50 (50% disc from rrp) in small.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new road helmet’ is closed to new replies.