Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me… a new Multitool
  • Alejandro
    Free Member

So here I am about to fix my chain when it transpires the chain tool on my Topeak Hexus has broken (the little pokey bit that’s meant to push the chain pin out has fallen out of the screwey bit!?!?) My friend’s Hexus chain tool also broke a few months ago leaving him stranded. AND two Topeak Race Rocket pumps have broken on me in the last couple of months. I know what brand I won’t be buying from, ever again…

Rant aside, what multitool should I get that is RELIABLE, has all the allen keys etc I’d need, has a chain tool, tyre levers, etc? Basically the Topeak one was ideal tool-wise before it broke so if it has the same range of tools I’d be sorted.

resisted
    Free Member

Park multi-tools aren’t the best designed for space saving but their tools are still the best quality. Their new (re-issued) mini chain tool (not chain brute, the other one) is a true work of art.

EDIT: this one

singlespeeddan
    Free Member

If the rest is still ok why not buy a chain splitter from park? Call me cautious but I prefer having a proper chain tool if I break a chain.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Have used a number of chain tools & found the one on the Topeak Hexus to be the best one!

Maybe I’ve just come across some rubbish chain tools…

fbk
    Free Member

Have to say I’ve always been happy with my Alien 2 – all the tools you need in a design that gives you a reasonable amount of torque when needed.

Sorry – doesn’t help much in your case though!

almightydutch
    Free Member

I have one of these. Got it with some vouchers i had:

Its been awesome. Split plenty of chains with it so you should be sound in that respect but the ‘creme de la creme’ moment came from being able to ghetto repair the back of some random womans Spesh FSR snapped rear pivot bolt with the bolt holding this together. Mega ghetto repair that easily lasted Cannock’s Lower cliff descent and all the way back to Birches Valley car park (via Kitbag Hill and Tackeroo run)

Northwind

I had the chaintool bit fall out of my Hexus, the latest version is redesigned though and doesn’t seem like it’ll do the same. Best multitool there is otherwise so I’d still recommend it.

Alejandro
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. The Park Tool one would be good I’m sure, but I’d like to just buy a new multitool as I can carry that and carrying around 2 tools would just be a faff. People seem to still be rating the Hexus, maybe I just had some bad luck?

uplink
    Free Member

I quite like the Crank Bros ones

I know Crank Bros and longevity aren’t normally words you’d link together but the one I have is pretty good

Junkyard
    Free Member

i carry a proper park chain tool tbh would never trust any mini tool one to work on the trail tbh

Northwind

Junkyard – Member

i carry a proper park chain tool tbh would never trust any mini tool one to work on the trail tbh

I’ve got a “proper” Park one somewhere, but it’s not as good as the one in my Hexus.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me… a new Multitool’ is closed to new replies.