Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommend me a new compact camera
  • Burts
    Free Member

My wife needs a new compact camera for convenient photos & quick snaps. Previously she had a very slim 6Mp Casio S600, which performed very well until the day it died. Any suggestions for what is currently topping the compact charts?

Only interested in something that takes SD cards (no Olympus). We have a SLR for being creative, but my wife is still keen to keep some basic control even in a compact. A good zoom and decent response to dark conditions would also be nice. Waterproofing not necessary, I have a Pentax for that and my wife hates it!

GrahamS

What SLR do you have? Might make sense to go for a same brand compact, especially if you shoot RAW or post process.

khegs
    Free Member

The Panasonic Lumix range is pretty good, the model I have allows exposure bracketing, setting the ISO equivalent etc, so you get a fair bit of control when you want it.

The lenses are very good as well, as they are Leica licensed designs.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I've a Panasonic Lumix LX3.

It was dear (at around 300 quid) but superb.

I also have a D300 but the Lumix gets taken most places just because its so much lighter, smaller, less in your face, more discrete, easier to carry etc etc.

Quality is really good too.

ilikebikes
    Free Member

LX3 superb!

Northwind

The new Lumixes are pretty fantastic, I want one but can't justify the spend just now. First time for a long time I'd buy anything but an Ixus.

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

I just bought the Lumix TZ7 to replace my older TZ3. It's very good.

BB

aviemoron
    Free Member

I was impressed with the LX3, but hanging on to demo the new Canon s90, which should be a low light winner.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new compact camera’ is closed to new replies.