Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend me a negative scanner?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I know there’s a few digital photo people on here so can anyone recommend me a 35mm negative scanner?

Not looking for a professional one just something that would be easy to use and produce good results, unlikely I’ll be blowing the scans up to bigger than say a standard 7×5 photo size, maybe to A4 for the odd one but unlikely, not bothered about a preview screen if it’s a better quality scan but could be useful. I’ve seen some for £30 to £50 but happy to spend a bit more.

If anyone’s got some good links to 2014 sale scanners that are good please post.

Thanking you

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Erm, 😕 … anyone?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

The fella should be able to help…

freddyg
    Free Member

My Canon multifunction printer does negative scanning (Pixma MP990). The odd time I’ve used it for this, the results have been impressive. Was considerably more than £50 but does lots of other things too – including shop quality photo prints.

MadBillMcMad

Do it mail order – well worth the cost IMO

I have just used http://slidebox.co.uk/ for a mahoosive bunch of slides, excellent service

CraigW
    Free Member

The £50 ‘film scanners’ from Maplin etc are crap. They are not really scanners, they are essentially just taking a photo. Very poor quality results IME. Often out of focus, and poorly exposed etc.

I’m now using a Plustek Opticfilm slide scanner. Cost about £200, and can get very good results. Though it is rather slow, especially if you want to tweak each image etc. If you have a lot of photos, it will take a while.

So maybe quicker/cheaper just to send them off to be scanned.

Nico
    Free Member

What CraigW says. I bought one because I got it particularly cheap (30 quid-ish) but frankly it is just a waste of time.

blurty

I bought one for about £80. It had got pretty good write-ups on Amazon.

It made me a lot more cautious about Amazon reviews.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’d happily pay the 20p to 40p a slide for a pro to do it after having a crack at it myself (infact I did pay 40p a go for 300 of my late dads slides).

We also had some undeveloped black and white film processed and put on disk. They had sat in a bedroom drawer for 40 years and they came out fine!

bob_summers

I got a Reflecta X7* really just to sort the wheat from the chaff, with the intention of getting any good shots pro scanned. Haven’t had to do that yet 😳
    Bought it over a used v700 (for example) as I have absolutely no other use for a scanner so I don’t want something like that taking up space.
    While it’s not producing amazing quality images, it’s fine for sharing with the fam or online. I am however only scanning 35mm BW negs… for colour YMMV.

You can find some samples here (not mine), I got it on ebay but forget how much it was.

*not actually a scanner, it’s a digi camera with a lightbox in essence.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a negative scanner?’ is closed to new replies.