Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me a multi use Full Suss Frame
  • JustRide
    Free Member

I have bits from 2 bikes to make up one replacement.

It will be used for XC enduro racing with 100mm SIDs on.

Then as a trail basher with Fox 140mm forks on.

I also would like a carbon frame, but won’t discount ali ones.

I have looked at Scott Spark, Titus Racerx/FTM, Spec FSR carbon.

What would you recommend?

Candodavid
    Free Member

Nicolai Helius cc would tick the box

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Budget?

Would you consider buying a full bike and selling all the other bits (can work out cheaper)?

JustRide
    Free Member

I have a load of very good lightly used bits to put on a frame so would prefer that than buy a full bike and try to sell all my bits off.

No budget really. If the frame seems right I will pay the price although the Santa Cruz Blur TRC is way too much for what it is!!

JustRide
    Free Member

Nicolai Helius CC certainly does tick the box. Looks pretty good too. One for the short list

james
    Free Member

100mm sids AND 140mm Fox forks to work?
    Are these fixed travel Fox’s or Talas?
    Might give a better compromise if you dropped the travel on them? and/or upped travel on the SIDs? eg 110 and 130mm? Or use one at 120mm for both racing and ‘trail bashing’

Seems like its going to be compromised at both ends unless it has two sets of rocker links or shocks or different bolt holes to change BB height ttying to compensate for the fork length change?
    Like a Nicolai as above

Maybe you might get someting to work alright around the 110-120mm travel mark
    Any of the 135/140mm (fixed) rear sus options (FTM,2010onward SJer FSR) aren’t going to ride right with a 100mm fork plugged in.
    The FTM in particular is already about the steepest out there with a 140mm fork
    Id have thought (most?) 100mm/100mm sus bikes are going to be a bit propped up with a 140mm up front?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Crikey…the only thing I can think of that comes close is a Giant Trance.

It’s very hard to find a single boutique frame to do it all, if you’ve the budget for a carbon full suss frame and two sets of forks then surely two frames isn’t beyond reach?

nodrog2
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Nickel maybe? Tough, climbs well, playful on the descents, decent price (Stif had them at £999 recently). Not sure it would be happy at 100mm but 120-140mm is spot on for it.

Mugboo

I think couldawouldashoulda meant sell the new bits rather than your lightly used bits.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I did – and I think justride got that. But I’m now silent as I’m stumped as to what’s ideal with a 100 – 140 change on the front but no change at the back.

rickon
    Free Member

Id suggest going for a compromise with a 120mm frame. Spark is very quick with 120mm forks, but the low bb makes it a real pain on technical ascents. Something like a Trek Fuel Ex carbon would be spot on, lightweight, stiff but can be built a bit tougher for trail and mountains.

Id also look at the Yeti ASR5, Turner Flux.

A full on racey bike won’t win you races, being fit and fast will. Buy the bike that makes you want to ride more and ride faster; best use of your money.

mildred

As above – Nicolai helius cc: they have something like 85, 100, 115 & 130mm travel options on the back when used with a 200x50mm shock. However, a 57mm shock also fits and works nicely. And ups the travel.

Gorgeous frames.

Bregante

Gorgeous frames.

Indeed. And now it’s mine 8)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Was going to suggest the Blur TRC…. on paper looks very good (Hijack anyone got one looking for feedback for the GF)

Cube Sting Carbon

Short Travel LaPiere

andyruss
    Free Member

Carbon trance. Had mine weighing just over 25 lbs with a gravity dropper. A truly sad day when l had to sell it.

JustRide
    Free Member

Thanks for the help so far.

The forks are set at the lengths they are. SIDS at 100mm and fox rl at 140mm.

I need to get rid of one bike hence having lots of parts and 2 sets of forks.

I liked the Titus due to being carbon and only £900 and as much as I would like to stretch to sc trc I think it is over priced by a few hundred quid in comparison to other frames.

I did ride a mates carbon stumpy and was amazed at the handling and brain shock, so might be tempted to get one of those as a frame,.

slackalice
    Free Member

You might not want to fit the 100mm forks…. but what about a Pivot 5.7?

cakefacesmallblock

Trance up to 2009 (i think) was ex factory at 100mm. I’ve been running my 2008 at 130mm up front for six months or so now with no adverse effect. Actually it makes a pretty capable trail basher like that.

neninja
    Free Member

If it has to have adjustable rear travel then it’s hard to see past the Helius CC. Great all rounder.

The only other bike I can think of that might fit the bill would be the Intense Spider 2. I personally couldn’t bring myself to buy an Intense after all the stories of misaligned frames etc.

Candodavid
    Free Member

There you go!

m_t_b
    Free Member

Im about to sell my 2011 Blur LTC – immense bike, let me know if your interested as otherwise its going on ebay. Would rather not though hate their fees!

MarkiMark
    Free Member

Better late than never…

I have a 2010 Giant Anthem X (self build) with Fox 130RL forks. I’ve added spacers to get the fork to 110mm and it’s great. When it was at the 130mm length it was still huge fun, but you have to be aware that the front end is higher and you are further back, so weight on front wheel while climbing can be an issue. Anthme works great with forks longer than intended IMHO.

granny_ring

As above dont think you’ll get a frame to do 100 & 140mm.

Sell the 100mm forks or maybe both and get some adjustable travel ones 110-130mm and a frame to suit that travel.

Anthem maybe from what people have said on here?

Rickos
    Free Member

Yeti ASR5. Carbon available and ace bike by all accounts. May not like the 100mm SIDs though as the BB is already quite low.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a multi use Full Suss Frame’ is closed to new replies.