Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Recommend me a motorbike
  • Gunz
    Free Member

Kids are growing up and it’s time for the Mrs and I to get back into touring. I had a Bandit 1200 in the past which we loved.
    Budget is about £5000. I considered all our requirements (upright position, bit of character, comfy and powerful enough for 2 plus luggage and not too ‘toury’) and all I could come up with was a BMW GS. Whilst I’m sure they’re great bikes I just wondered if there was something a bit different (looked at KTMs but all a bit expensive).
    Cheers.

exupmonkey
    Free Member

£5k will get you a pretty decent Kawasaki ZZR1400. Ticks all the boxes except maybe an ‘upright” riding position but it’s not extreme at all in standard trim and a pair of bar risers really does lift the position if needed. I’ve had mine for 7 years now, can’t think of anything else that I would want to change it for, except a new one.

weeksy

KTM 990SMT

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Ducati Multistrada. You’ll get an 1100S with full luggage for that money or for a few quid more it’ll be the 1200.

craigxxl
    Free Member

BMW GS and character. Not usually said in the same sentence without lack being included. Very capable bikes but quite dull in doing so.
    I’m biased in my recommendation of KTM’s. The SMT is very popular for touring but not the roomiest of bikes depending on how big you and your wife are.

bikebouy
    Free Member

*scuttlesofftoebay

allthegear
    Free Member

Might get a Triumph Tiger 800? Should be fairly okay 2up?

Rachel

failedengineer

+1 for the Tiger 800. Mind you, I would say that, I’ve got one. Should be able to find one now for £5000, maybe a bit less. Comfy for 2, adequate power.

rickmeister

exupmonkey..I had a ZZR14 and it was insanely hot to sit on. I thought it was a catalyst in the exhaust perhaps.. is yours like this as well ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nice Multistrada (1100, 27k, Red, Boxes etc.) on eBay.. £3800…

Mrs likes the colour, I like the bike..

What have you lot started …

allthegear
    Free Member

My S1000XR got its name, Idris, simply because of how hot it is…

Really bad on the inside of the ankles when it’s hot outside and you’re not travelling fast.

edit – wow! I was expecting you might be able to get one at a stretch but they are still way out of reach. Keeping value extraordinarily well.

Rachel

craigxxl
    Free Member

KTM 1190 Adv is same with heat. KTM made a simply air deflector that moves hot air as it comes through the radiator away from your legs which is very effective. The catalyst do kick off some heat too which you can’t do a great deal about.

exupmonkey
    Free Member

@ Rick…no, never experienced that at all on mine, it’s a first gen and my mate has the new one, no such issues reported. I am in Scotland though, so that may be why I don’t overheat

bazzer
    Free Member

Z1000SX is about that money now and the sportier side of tourey.

Suspension is very firm on them though, too firm for some.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

My Ducati (900SS) had shockingly unreliable electrics (sometimes literally) – are they any better now?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Triumph Sprint ST?
    The 3 cylinder 1050cc motor is a cracker

craigxxl
    Free Member

My Ducati (900SS) had shockingly unreliable electrics (sometimes literally) – are they any better now?

my one and only Ducati was a 900SS too. Electrical problems and sky high labour charges put off them for life. Nice to look at but not to own.

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes – the electrics are a lot better.

hot_fiat

I’ve toured for about 10 years on what appears to be a wholly inapproriate KTM 950SM. If I were to replace it with £5k to spend I’ve probably track down a low mileage 990smt, put a gel seat on it and a set of Symtec heated grips. Second hand hard cases come up all the time on fleabay for not much.

Reliability on my 950 has been great (apart from the magura clutch slave which needs ramming up the designer’s posterior). It does 45mpg when touring giving you a range of about 140-150 miles.

Gunz
    Free Member

Hmm, some good food for thought here. I’d never considered the Multistrada but reliability tales (old Wives’?) have put me off previously. I thought Triumph might feature so I’ll probably start looking in that direction.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

my one and only Ducati was a 900SS too. Electrical problems and sky high labour charges put off them for life. Nice to look at but not to own.

..and to listen to – lovey noise. And there’s no better bikes if you like spending your summers in the lockup with wirestrippers and a multimeter
    EDIT or if you like watching other people whizzing by on bikes while you’re waiting for the AA

benp1

Hmmm, instead of the GS (or something touringesque from them), what about

VFR
    Triumph Tiger Explorer
    Africa Twin

mboy
    Free Member

KTM 990SMT would be top of my list

Also worthy of consideration…

Aprilia Tuono
    Aprilia Falco
    Ducati Multistrada
    Yamaha Tracer 900
    Honda VFR800

Tuono will be a laugh a minute and you can tour on one, but not the most practical. Falco’s are ace bikes, and you’ll get £3k change from your £5k budget even for a mint one cos they’re old and unfashionable now, but still worth considering. Multistradas are cool, but belt changes and general Ducati running costs put me off, and air cooled motors not that powerful. Tracer 900 seems like a great bike, just too new to get under £6k for now, but would probably tick all the boxes. VFR800’s are more sports than tourer despite what the race rep boys would have you think, but I’m not a fan of the later VTEC engines, the older 98-02 model is fantastic but will undoubtedly need some money spending on age related upkeep, you could look for early 2014 models with a few miles in, starting to come down to near your £5k budget and is a much newer bike (and the VTEC is toned down hugely too).

But I’d probably buy the KTM990SMT out of those if you can only spend your budget on one bike and you need fun and touring capabilities. I only need the fun bit, so recently traded my fantastic 99 model VFR800 in against an 08 Aprilia RSV1000R! 😆

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Running costs on a modern Ducati are no more than a modern Jap bike. Quality and reliability wise they are up there with the best (and have been for many years now).
    If was looking for a serious touring bike it’d have to be something with shaft drive. I didn’t like my FJR1300 but the new one is supposed to be much better. Its not £5k though 🙂

Gunz
    Free Member

Anyone got a Suzuki GSX1250 (Bandit with a bigger fairing)? It might prove ideal as I loved the engine in my 1200.

benp1

@rockhopper, how modern is modern

My mates 1098s is constantly throwing up something. He’s been on big rides on it, but mostly uses his blade 😀

craigxxl
    Free Member

Running costs on a modern Ducati are no more than a modern Jap bike

Are you sure about that

I’ve just been to Ducat Leeds for a 15k quote. Between £800-£1000.

1200s 2014 plate

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/15-000-mile-service-cost-really.51959/#post-926493

That seems a lot more than any Jap bike.

hopefiendboy

I’ve just got a bandit 1250GT 2008 with full luggage. £3.3k with 14k miles on it, immaculate.

It has torque, is heavy (compared to my last bike- honda hornet) but the position is great and the engine efforless. Will be getting an aftermarket exhaust on it straight away and changing the bars for my old renthals, otherwise its nice!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Tiger 1050

Guzzi Stelvio (loads of character!)

cycle86
    Free Member

I’ve got the smaller GSX650F and regularly ride two up; I’d probably go for the 1250 now though, certainly requires a bit more effort to ride smoothly with an extra 60kg plus luggage on board! Fairing does a good job in all weathers, but I’d recommend a higher screen if you are tall.

weeksy

Running costs on a modern Ducati are no more than a modern Jap bike.

Bwahahaha

Having owned 7 over the years I can categorically say that’s wrong

Sport classic

mboy
    Free Member

Having owned 7 over the years I can categorically say that’s wrong

Biggest Ducati fan out there (bar weeksy it would seem!) and can say there is zero truth in the rumour they cost no more to run than a Jap bike… OK, day to day they don’t cost any more, at the pumps or tyres etc. Interim service is ok as it’s just oil/filter and a check etc. same as any other bike. No it’s the major services where you get screwed, cos Ducati’s still run cambelts and they need replacing fairly regularly, and the dealers charge you through the nose for it! That and they should have the valve shim clearances done at the same time too…

That’s why I just got an Aprilia… Almost as much character as a Ducati, but with Japanese running costs (cam chains and dry sump contribute to much less spend on servicing). Can recommend the KTMs in that respect too as similar Rotax designed and built engine in them as the Aprilias.

mm93
    Free Member

Yamaha tracer 900 surely

Gunz
    Free Member

Bloke at work has just got a Tracer and it is very saucy looking (just checked and they’re almost within budget), what a delicious quandary to have.

flange
    Free Member

Not one for arguing but I’m afraid I have to disagree with the falco comment. I had one and it was terrible – constantly breaking and costing a fortune to fix. Shame as it was lovely to ride.

bazzer
    Free Member

I toured for a couple of yeas on a Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC. I love that bike so much. The aprilia extended screen and threw some Kreiga packs on it and off I went. Did a couple of 3000mile trips on it.

However the one big issue with it is tank range. It only did 80miles and the fuel light would come on. This is OK in the mountains where 80miles can take a while. Trying to get anywhere on major roads is a real ball ache. Its never let me down in the 4 years I have had it.

Also I would not be that keen to sit on the back of the thing 🙂

I now have a S1000XR like allthegear has, the nearly 200mile range is amazing and takes a huge amount of fuel anxiety off me. It also has solid panniers and a top box, so its hugely practical. It fast and handles well. Though it did let me down in Spain last year on its first trip when the ignition switch failed and it would not switch off.

However it does not have the X factor the Tuono has. You really feel you are riding something special when riding an Aprilia V4. If it had a bigger tank or drank a lot less a new Tuono Factory would be in my garage.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Bloke at work has just got a Tracer and it is very saucy looking (just checked and they’re almost within budget), what a delicious quandary to have.

I’ve just sold my MT09 Tracer and can confirm it was a very good bike, shame it was just a hair too tall for Mrs BS to ride comfortably. I’d have liked to have kept it, but just not doing the mileage to warrant it.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not one for arguing but I’m afraid I have to disagree with the falco comment. I had one and it was terrible – constantly breaking and costing a fortune to fix. Shame as it was lovely to ride.

Interesting – I had an RST Futura, basically a Falco engine in a Flash Gordon fairing, and it was excellent. Apart from there being a cutout when the sidestand was down and the bike was out of neutral which developed a fault where the bike would randomly decide the sidestand was down and cut out the engine – easy fix, just by passed the cut out switch – it was totally reliable. Central Scotland – Portsmouth via Cornwall – Holyhead – Dublin – Belfast – Cairnryan – home, never missed a beat.

benp1

Tuono V4 is a cracking bike, hadn’t pictured it as much of a tourer, but I’d like one of them

My next bike will be back to a naked bike or something retro ish. Just as fun, but less balls out fast than my Blade

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a motorbike’ is closed to new replies.