Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Recommend me a Merino Baselayer
  • Andyhilton
    Free Member

I currently have a long sleeved Endura Baa Baa. It’s my 2nd and I really like it. Trouble is that I’m not convinced of the quality/longevity.

Can anyone recommend a similar baselayer for around the same money?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Endura Baa Baa good for me

slugwash
    Free Member

Smartwool Merino LS on offer £19 reduced from £40…..

http://www.rockrun.com/products/Smartwool-Microweight-Crew-Deal.html

neninja
    Free Member

Icebreaker were on offer at Sportsdirect and Cyclesurgery – I’ve got a couple of Mondo zip – superb

thomthumb
    Free Member

http://www.embersmerino.com/

my longsleeve has got the first little hole in this week; done almost every commute and loads of rides over the last 2 years. pretty damn good.

Blurboy
    Free Member

Been using a BaaBaa short sleeve base layer on it’s own all summer – few ‘snags’ but nothing worse than other materials. I also use Howies long sleeve versions as base layers in winter – no issue with wear and tea at all but I only buy these in the summer sales!

Militant_biker

Smartwool LS for me.

I’ve never tried anything else (cos one is enough) but a colleague who wears LS merino all year tried the Endura Baa Baa and decided it just wasn’t as good. And that £19 up there is a bargain price!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I use Baa Baa’s as base, mid and top layers (not all together!) – work great and the new (I think) 3/4 zip one I got a few weeks back from my LBS has been perfect so far this autumn. The socks are good too.

slugwash
    Free Member

I find the Baa Baa slightly itchy compared to the Smartwool, but perhaps that’s ‘cos the Endura one is more figure hugging. Anyway, I’ve worn my BaaBaa only about three times but have lived in the Smartwool ones since I got them 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Baa baa for colder weather, assorted Finisteree and Howies Merino when it’s warmer.

Frankers
    Free Member

Have both BaaBaa and Icebreaker, I always reach for the Icebreaker! BaaBaa ok but just prefer fit and feel of IB

infradig
    Free Member

haven’t found any as comfy as Icebreaker but they tend to be expensive.

Merak

Baa Baa for me too. I have spent many days in one with no washing facilities. It still didnt smell. Toasty warm too.

DezB
    Free Member

Definitely Lab Gear
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/lab-gear-store/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

You won’t regret it!
    I had a BaaBaa and it was much too short in the body.

NZCol

iRule Exxo – turbo merino, lovely. But i always say that 😆

montylikesbeer

chocolatefishmerino every time for me

CHB

Embers for me.
    I have smartwool too, but embers is much nicer.

AndrewDrummond
    Free Member

None of them – merino gets wet which is bad news when you have an accident and are lying there getting cold because of it. I bought my wife some icebreaker tops and she won’t wear them now as she was continually getting hot then cold – not much better than a cotton t-shirt.

Just get some HH Lifas…

Paceman
    Free Member

Icebreaker is excellent if you can afford it. I’ve also found the Helly Hansen merino jerseys to be very warm, and Sugoi Wallaro merino’s also good.

chiefgrooveguru

The Smartwool top looks nice – what’s the sizing like? I vary between a medium and a large mostly due to my arm span.

cp

Andrew Drummond – almost exactly the opposite to how I feel about merino. My two howies (one t-shirt and one long sleeve polo) both a the least-wet feeling thing when I’m biking or just hot on a summers (!) day, dry off super quick and keep a steady temperature throughout. Maybe it depends on the quality/weight?

hora
    Free Member

Owned my first Icebreaker from 1999 to date (it has a couple of tiny holes but who cares?) and its been used every winter without fail from riding to wearing underneath. Bought another last winter but the cost means nothing.

Icebreaker for people who are very tight but understand longevity/performance versus longterm benefit.

DezB
    Free Member

Andrew Drummond – almost exactly the opposite to how I feel about merino

90% of others too 🙂

[edit]that almost makes sense! – I mean 90% think Merino is great.

Crivvens
    Free Member

I’m with the 90% 🙂 Merino is brilliant. Won’t buy anymore IB tho’ – quality rubbish these days. Last tops all from ChocFish and far better quality. Good long arms and body, and fabric awesome

hora
    Free Member

Whats the thin body armour that Frodo wore? Emetheral? Throughout last winter I thought of my merinos as just that 🙂

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I wear the Rapha the lightweight jersey as a baselayer – made from Sportwool (merino/synthetic), I find it dries much quicker than the pure merino tops. I also wear it in the summer, I’ve had it for 2 years – no holes.

iwluap

Merino rocks. Wouldn’t ride in anything else (well shorts and shoes obvioulsy).

Can’t see past Finisterre for base layers http://www.finisterreuk.com/technicalsurfapparel/mens/eddy-base-layer-10/11-p157-c37.html

neninja
    Free Member

It’s funny I bought a chocolatefish merino and sent it back as I didn’t like the seams on the shoulder and thought it felt cheap next to my IB stuff even though it cost more. Shame as I had heard such great things.

AndrewDrummond
    Free Member

so I was skiing with some Merino fanatics who also did a lot of hill/mountain climbing. I asked them if their merino tops where wet when they reached the top of the hill and they said yes, but they dry out once you take your jacket off.

If you had a fall at the top of the hill and were lying in a gully waiting for help, a wet top is not going to do you much good.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Bit doom and gloom there Mr Drummond!

I’ve got HH too but prefer the merino.

AlexSimon

I bought Chocolate Fish but have nothing to compare it to (other than looking in the shops). I bought it because it was NZ wool, made in NZ and they’re a small company. The price was similar to the others. It seems fine.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Smartwool, as mentioned. We all wear it and have tons in the shop!

goog
    Free Member

Howies NBL half zip

AndrewDrummond
    Free Member

ok, a mechanical failure on your bike and it took you an hour to fix it, it was cold, and you had been riding hard so your merino top was wet.

chiefgrooveguru

I thought the point of merino was that it still keeps you warm when wet, like Buffalo DP gear, in which case it doesn’t matter that it dries more slowly. For winter walking where wet feet are likely I’ll always wear wool socks for that very reason!

AlexSimon

AndrewDrummond – have a read about the working temperature of Merino and how it effects the body temperature when wet. It’s completely different to the way you’d judge synthetic or cotton fibre.

However, I would say that if they were wet through sweat, then they’re probably wearing the wrong thickness of Merino. Merino wicks very well (I haven’t seen figures comparing it directly, but I seem to recall that density of weave and fineness of fibre made more difference than wool v synthetic). I was careful to swap like-for-like when going from capilene to merino.

Another upside is that wool isn’t flammable. I have fires when wild camping, woodburning heating when on campsites in winter and small woodburning cooking stoves for backpacking.

Downsides to Merino are cost (in some cases), fragility, washing care and allergies in some (although the same can be said for synthetic).

toby1

AndrewDrummond – if I sweat in a meriono top or a nylon shirt it will still be wet …. I can prove this for you if you like?

AndrewDrummond
    Free Member

nylon is not going to soak it up though…

hora
    Free Member

Whats with the grief over merino?

The trick is to wear JUST the merino- NOTHING else. i.e no tshirt, no synthetic mountain bike top.

Just the merino(s) so you feel just abit too cold in the carpark. Then put on your baggy British Army DPM jacket. Job sorted 😀

Andyhilton
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Merino Baselayer’ is closed to new replies.