Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Recommend me a loctite for a 203 rotor
  • scotbike
    Free Member

hey all, I’m decide between 180 or 203 rotors for a pair of Hope Pro 2 hubs, slx calipers and I’m wondering if I should use loctite on the bolts.. bolts will be tightened to correct torque, and it’s really just a little insurance on a larger disc which comes under more force.

I’m bearing in mind the torque required to break the thread locker when it comes to undoing fasteners, so lower strength seems to be the way. Blue: low purchase, Red: firmer purchase and Green: fuggedaboutit. Was thinking this would be the thing to use. What say the stw collective? necessary or nonsense? Also, should the dab of loctite set off before assembly, or be put together wet?
    be good to hear your thoughts..

genghispod
    Free Member

I use red loctite thread lock on my bike; at work I use threadlock and studlock in various applications. Strictly speaking you don’t need any of them if you tighten the fastening correctly, what they do is allow you to do is tighten the fastening less (making it easier to remove in future) without the risk of it self-loosening. They also prevent corrosion in the joint, which can make future removal impossible.

scotbike
    Free Member

what they do is allow you to do is tighten the fastening less
    -ah, now that makes sense.

I was thinking it might be overkill, if I’m torquing the bolts up right, there shouldn’t be a problem.

Thanks

bazzer
    Free Member

I you are going to use anything use blue.

Red or Green will make removing a small fastener like a rotor bolt very difficult. You tend to need some heat to dissemble with these.

cynic-al
    Free Member

grease FT functional but uncool W

robholland
    Free Member

Never really used it on my rotor bolts, but never had one come undone even with 203 back and front down alps. But i tend to swap rotors over with new bolts whenever i do.

scotbike
    Free Member

– it would be alpine riding I’d use them for, long descents on uplift days so that’s useful to know.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a loctite for a 203 rotor’ is closed to new replies.