Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me a lightweight windproof jersey or do I need a gilet
  • yoshimi

I have a base layer, Gore Phantom softshell with removable arms and a packable waterproof – these are pretty much the only tops I have and suit me in most situations.

I’m really after a lightweight top that is windproofthat I can just throw on over my baselayer to keep me going until heavy rain arrives or temperatures drop a lot.

Something light, very packable and windproof and not too spendy (say upto about £50-60 – thought about a Rab Boreas but not convinced the back will drop low enough – I’m not averse to a gilet

Cheers

nickc

I recently bought a Madison Zenith lightweight softshell. I was sceptical at first as it’s pretty thin feeling, but wore it last week in a steady wind, in temps of about 2-3 degs, and it was just brilliant, really warm (just a baselayer underneath) impressively windproof. About the only thing that won’t suit you is that it’s not specifically packable.

mark90
    Free Member

I’m a fan of a Pertex windproof top. Something like a Buffalo windshirt.

I have a pertex gilet and a full sleeved top. Usually have one or the other with me. Light and small packsize.

chakaping
    Free Member

My recommendation is for road riding BTW, not sure why I assumed that was what we were talking about.

prawny

I am a huge fan on the gilet.

I very rarely wear a jacket, only when it is soaking wet and cold at the same time.

Plus a cheap packable gilet (Endura Pakagilet for me) takes up about the same space as an apple, so no harm in taking with you everywhere. And they’re cheap!

bforbertie

I have the hoodless version of rab boreas, not sure they still do it. Is quite long though not cycling cut, but works well for me for cylcing and running. Stuffs small, comfy and stretchy compared to pertex, though maybe not quite as windproof. Much lighter than gore windstopper type jacket. Perfect for autumn/spring with baselayer of choice according to temperature.

zippykona

Is the Endura above nicely breathable, is it small enough to pack in your backpack?

maxlite
    Free Member

Love my Sportful Fiandre Light NoRain Soft-shell Jacket, really light and packs up small. Only trouble is getting it cheap, I bought a ladies in large and its brilliant.
    https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/sportful-fiandre-light-norain-top/642246/p

Also have the Endura mentioned above, which is breathable but doesn’t pack up small.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Endura jersey I linked is meant as your main jersey, you wouldn’t take it off during a ride.

Very breathable yeah.

benp1

It’s amazing what a very light, breathable windproof top will do for warmth. They’re great and pack down very small

Gilet is also very handy. If you don’t have one you should definitely try one

I find my phantom to be too hot, rarely wear it. For cycling to work at this time of year and on through winter I usually wear a LS base, a LS jersey and a gilet.

yoshimi

Thanks for the help guys – combined with Black Friday, I’ve gone for a Castelli Perfetto gilet – we’ll just have to see if I can squeeze into the XXL when it arrives

finephilly
    Free Member

Buffalo windshirt. Superlight and cheap ish. Well windproof

stevied
    Free Member

Bought an Alpkit one recently and very pleased with it.

scaled
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these, it’s without a doubt my most worn piece of cycling clothing. Windproof on the front, lightweight and breathable on the back. If it’s not pissing down at the start of the ride there’s really no reason to wear anything else.

https://www.startfitness.co.uk/scott-rc-pro-mens-cycling-gilet-233751-2672.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a lightweight windproof jersey or do I need a gilet’ is closed to new replies.