Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a home printer..
  • breadcrumb

Our HP has gone a bit messy, I’ve tried the cleaning and head alignment function but no joy.

If I had the time I’d pull it too bits but I don’t so I’m after recommendations for a new printer.

We print about a dozen documents a month, and sometimes the odd photo.

So what’s decent without spending too much (including ink costs)?

Ta

breadcrumb

Bump for the morning crowd!

richmars

Another HP. Whatever is cheap in Tesco.

Poopscoop

Bloody hate my HP.

Really doesn’t like compatible cartridges. Hey picky with paper alignment too.

Wish I’d done more research before buying it on a whim from Asda.

fanatic278
    Free Member

The problem with advising on printers is that by the time you’ve thoroughly tested the one you have (I.e 12 months of use), they replace it with a new model.

I have an Epsom WF-3520 one. It has an auto document feeder scanner and two sided printing. Requires 4 ink cartridges. I’ve had it for many years, which is much better than the various previous models. It chewed through the original ink cartridges without barely printing a thing. So I got some refillable ones off eBay and now just top them up with cheap ink once a month or so. Print quality is fine for paperwork, but considering cost and quality of online printing services I rarely use it for photos.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

For infrequent use get a laser.

Cheapness = B&W (£60-ish) and print photos online/high street shop.

Or spend a bit more and get a full-colour laser.

fubar
    Free Member

I agree with a cheap HP (since more expensive models have all failed anyhow), I chose a cheap HP (Deskjet 3720) from Tesco using the Instant Ink Plan (I’m on the £1.99 a month). Downside on this model is that there is no flatbed scanner but can feed single sheets through. Instead I often use CamScanner app on phone instead.

leffeboy

For infrequent use get a laser, otherwise the HP instant ink plan as the cleaning cycles on inkjets will eat you ink 🙁

richmars

Bloody hate my HP.
    Really doesn’t like compatible cartridges.

I don’t think you can blame HP for not working with something they didn’t make.

bigG
    Free Member

HP 4500 printer/scanner does us really well. I also have the £1.99 a month insta ink subscription and it means we never run out of ink or have to worry about incompatible cartridges. It’s worked faultlessly for the last three years

marcgear
    Free Member

Got one of these in the cupboard under the stairs. Since its a laser printer it’s a bit bigger than an inkjet and it hasn’t got a scanner/copier or any of that stuff, but it prints quick and the toner lasts for ages.

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-xpress-c430w-colour-laser-printer-with-nfc/p2125888

Splash-man
    Free Member

I recently got a HP Envy 5544.
    Got 8 months or so free instant ink, does double siding automatically, scans, prints from phone etc.
    So far so good.

vinnyeh

HP envy 5544 mentioned above, paid about £40 iirc with the the 8 months ink. Also have a Brother colour laser , paid around £120 a couple of years ago, both have their uses, but the HP envy’s are a bargain if you get one on special with a decent light of ink trial.

ninfan
    Free Member

Another vote for the HP range printers with the instant ink subscription

Due to the starter carteidges and three months trial, I think it was about 6 months before I had to pay anything, and then £1.99 a month means nothing to worry about, particularly good to not have to stress about the cost on ink cartridges for printing maps or photos

coolhandluke
    Free Member

[Worst printer I ever owned was a HP, couldn’t even get it to work well with a HP desktop or HP laptop. Crap from day 1.

Canon that followed it was better but glad I took the 3 year warranty out on it!

Now got an Epson XP-960 as a free replacement off PC World for the canon that spat its ink out

The Epson it uses a lot of expensive ink though….beautiful prints though, up to A3 as well, A3 is sheet feed, A4 tray and 2nd tray I put 7×5 photo paper in.

Basically, they’re all shit. Pay your money, take the extended 3 year warranty out and then when it goes “pop”, go and get another one for free, just don’t bother buying ink in bulk, especially after year 2

CraigW
    Free Member

+1 for a laser printer. They just work, and toner lasts ages.
    Got a Dell colour laser printer here. Costs about £200, and rather large. It is networked, so can go in another room etc. Not great for photos, easiest/cheapest just get those printed at the supermarket or Photobox etc.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

+1 for HP on instant ink plan. Its amazing how much ink they can fit in a cartridge when its THEM paying….!

breadcrumb

The instant ink plan looks good.
    Looks like I’ll order another HP.

I had considered laser, and we do get most of our photos printed online or Boots we do like to print them at home occasionally for odd sized photo frames etc.

deadkenny
    Free Member

If it’s infrequent, yes laser, or at least one with print head in the cartridge (usually HP), although this makes the cartridges a lot more expensive and makes people resort to refills that crap out early or compatibles that just plain don’t work. Epson though I much prefer for quality and cartridge pricing, but are massively a pain in the arse if used infrequently as almost always I use half a black cartridge just cleaning the heads.

A shame as my current all-in-one home office class Epson is really nice in its scanning, copying, stand alone wifi ability with little hassle in setting up on PCs, sheet fed scanning, photo printing, and even has a fax(!). It’s just the heads need a professional clean now and the cost is prohibitive.

Annoyingly disposable items based on the subsidised prices, resulting in far too many ending up in land fill.

My next will be a laser. Though I’m down to very minimal printing now thanks to PDFs and email (even my accountants now accepting them).

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a home printer..’ is closed to new replies.