Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recommend me a graphic novel
  • rj
    Free Member

It’s my brother in law’s 40th on Saturday and as he’s only really into extremely expensive gadgets and superhero comics, so he’s getting the latter. Any recommendations for newish (last year or so) ones that might fit the bill? He was quite taken with Batman: Year 1 if that helps.

bassspine
    Free Member
    kimbers

if he aint got marvel zombies.. a few years old but excellent

the walking dead is great too

and y the last man but thats a few yrs old now

Coyote
    Free Member

Watchmen

Although if he is a comic fan he may already have it.

iDave
    Free Member

Atomised by Michel Houellebecq is pretty graphic

Oh you mean a book with pictures?

speaker2animals

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Century 1910 – not overly big though, but a good continuation of the series.

Don’t read enough these days to comment on recent GNs. From what I have seen from marvel in the last 12-18 months I wouldn’t look there. Unless you go for the compendiums of the original 60s material, such as Fantastic Four.

One that I have on my Amazon wish list is “Supergods” by Warren Ellis, don’t know how good it is but the premise looks good and Mr Ellis is good at the hard Sci Fi stuff usually.

Obviously a tricky proposition if you don’t know what he already has.

Sawyer
    Free Member

V for Vendetta.

shreck
    Free Member

batman prey,it what the next batman film is suposed to be based on(the dark knight rises)

atlaz
    Free Member

Quite enjoyed Crossing Midnight recently

rj
    Free Member

He’s got watchmen and V for Vendetta, don’t think he espacially took to League of Extraordinary Gentleman. I’ll have a look at Freakangels, Supergods, Batman Prey and Crossing Midnight. Thanks for the suggestions.

duckman

The Crow,Dark Night Returns,Electra.

Everywhen
    Free Member

From Hell.
    Thoroughly enjoyed this over xmas.

mullet113
    Free Member

100 bullets
    walking dead
    Chew
    DMZ – definatley recommend all of these but especially DMZ

mogrim

The Surrogates is pretty good, not seen the film – and it’s not from the last year either…

The Authority is usually amusing.

poppa
    Free Member

I had a look here:

http://forbiddenplanet.com/picks/50-best-graphic-novels/

Useful, as it gives a brief description of them.

MSP

ABC warriors
    Bad company

both from 2000ad, none of this American trash.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Are there any good non-fiction ones? Ive got the 9/11 report one, and im planning on writing/drawing a journal article about infographics in a visual form so after some inspiration.

MSP

oh I nearly forgot Charlies War

From renowned UK comics writer Pat Mills (Marshal Law, Sláine) and legendary artist Joe Colquhoun (Johnny Red) comes a truly classic piece of graphic storytelling, by turns thrilling, horrifying and deeply moving.

In 1916, Charley Bourne lies about his age to enlist and fight on the battlefields of France. But thoughts of glory and patriotism are swept aside by the bloody artillery barrage of horror and needless sacrifice amidst the trenches of the First World War.

Rich in the detailed minutiae of the terror-punctuated existence of a ‘Tommy’, Charley’s War features a brand new introduction and ‘director’s commentary’ by Pat Mills, a cultural history of the comic, and an essay on the Battle of the Somme.

voodoo-rich

“Kingdom Come” from DC is very good, or the “Ultimates” reprints from Marvel? Not that recent though, tbh…

DaRC_L

Frank Miller’s Ronin

bigbloke
    Free Member

The “Slaine” series of graphic novels were brilliant in my opinion……a bit out of date though from early 90’s not sure if they still do them?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sl%C3%A1ine_%28comics%29

Joe

Tintin!

shreck
    Free Member

you could buy him a years subsciption to marvel online not too expensive and a load of comics to read think there a deal on at the mo 30% of i think.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a graphic novel’ is closed to new replies.