Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me a good shirt brand for a stocky shortish bloke
  • Mintyjim

I'm generally a large size shirt but at 5'8" they're too long and hang right over my arse! I'm after a couple of going out shirts that hang to about the belt line on jeans but aren't too tight on my 'tremendous' chest and shoulders ;). Any recommendations from similar shaped bods?
    I loath going clothes shopping and don't want to waste my time in shops any more than I have too.
    Cheers
    James

jimmy

Peter Werth always seemed to fit me well. I'm a bit shorter but fairly broad so sometimes have similar issues. Or had, been a while since I shopped for clothes…

jahwomble
    Free Member

Merc,the construction quality and the detailing is really good, I've got quite broad shoulders and chest, but slim hips and waist and I'm 5'7". I've got about seven or eight of their shirts and they are a good untucked fit. For dress shirts, try Ted Baker, I've got a few of them as well…….

Merc shirts generally from about 40/60 quid and Ted Baker from about the same, maybe a little higher.:)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Roderick Charles.

br
    Free Member

I bought a stack of shirts when I was last in the Far East, all made-to-measure. TBH cheaper than dry-cleaning. Often you see adverts for these guys in the London area?

http://www.raja-fashions.com/

In fact M&S do them, but a wee-bit dearer…

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Made-to-Measure-Shirts-Mens/b/63593031?ie=UTF8&extid=ps_ggl_CustomShirts_MadeToMeasure

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Paul Smith. Just try one for a laugh.

TM Lewin do shirts in a variety of fits. So you can achieve a semi -tailored look whatever your size. You can get them over the net. Charles Tyright I believe do a smiliar thing.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

When you say stocky, how stocky exactly? Not trying to chat you up.

Geronimo
    Free Member

bigG
    Free Member

M&S made to measure. Good choice and very very good value for money with killer customer support if you do have an issue.

I've been buying them for a while (now have six) and the fit is great, I was sceptical at first about how they'd fit based on the measurements asked for but they are spot on for my weird shape.

Made to measure

anokdale
    Free Member

Thomas Pink,

BoardinBob

Zara shirts are short in the body and good quality

mcmoonter
    Free Member

T M Lewin

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lewin aren't the right fit for the stockier chap, as they are rather slimmer cut and longer in the sleeve.
    Pink shirts are guff and have been ever since they were taken over and production moved out of the UK.

beinbhan

Alexander McQueen Tend to be a bit tight round the neck but they hang well

ourmaninthenorth

Lewin aren't the right fit for the stockier chap, as they are rather slimmer cut and longer in the sleeve.

Disagree. I wear TM Lewin (mainly because I'm tight – they're cheap for a reason), but as a stpckier chap, I find a 16" collar, 33" sleeve and their slim cut to be a reasonable compromise (at £20 a shirt, that's pretty good).

Pink shirts are guff and have been ever since they were taken over and production moved out of the UK.

Well said that man. Godawful. actually, prob no worse quality that Lewins, but they are designed for fat people with long arms.

I'm generally a large size shirt but at 5'8" they're too long and hang right over my arse! I'm after a couple of going out shirts that hang to about the belt line on jeans but aren't too tight

Your error, OP, as a short and broad man is to wear your shirt untucked. It will only make you look shorter and broader. Buy a shirt with tails (i.e. designed to be worn tucked in) and wear that.

Only darts players and ten pin bowlers think the untucked shirt is a good look for being seen in public.

Mintyjim

"Alexander McQueen Tend to be a bit tight round the neck but they hang well" nasty, but very funny!
    Cheers for the feedback and the general lack of piss taking!

I found Zara to be too tight..

I'll take a gander at M&S, that looks intriging

Thanks again

Mintyjim

Ourmaninthenorth – I said broad, not fat! Tucked in makes me look like a line dancing cowboy, no thanks.

geoffj

they are designed for fat people with long arms.

Perfect, where do I get them then 😆

Geronimo
    Free Member

Alexander McQueen

Was I the only person who had heard the name before, but didn't know who this chap was?

ourmaninthenorth

Ourmaninthenorth – I said broad, not fat! Tucked in makes me look like a line dancing cowboy, no thanks.

Best get yourself some of these

And one of these

spacecadett
    Free Member

Try Fred Perry shirts. I am 5'8'' with a 42'' chest and the large fits my shoulders but is not too long.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good shirt brand for a stocky shortish bloke’ is closed to new replies.