Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommend me a good ride/weekends riding to take a newbie on
  • binners

As above really. I’m just sorting a bike out for a friend at the moment. Should be built and ready to go next week.

The idea is to get some riding in that’s interesting, but not too challenging. I definitely don’t want to put them off. No lung-busting climbs or mental techy descents

I’m sure there are many on here who have eased people into it gently (so to speak). In the past when I’ve done this I reckon I’ve been too much of a bloke. You know what I mean. Getting a bit over-enthusiastic and coming across all evangelical and, frankly, borderline insane.

So… lets have your suggestions please oh knowledgeable ones. And if the location has somewhere nice to stay, ie: nice B&B down the road, good pub to stop in when you’ve finished. Make a weekend of it, maybe. All the better

Impart your wisdom oh STW massive

BigJohn

It’s always a good idea to start at a fairly low point (altitude-wise) but with a bit of initial interest. Then make the cafe stop one of the highest points. Then, when at the cafe, you can ask the rider how she’s feeling, give her the good news that we’ve done all the climbing now and ask “how far through the ride would you like this to be?”. If she says half way, then you can go back more or less directly, but finishing off down a descent she will love (always leave them wanting more!) if she says “about a third of the way, you fit in a nice loop then return, but if she says “I thought we’d only just started” then that’s life as you knew it over. You’ve got a new riding buddy who’s gonna whup yo ass.

EDIT – make sure she uses plenty minty arse lard, or you’ll only get one ride all weekend 😈

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brechfa is lovely for that sort of thing, or perhaps even Mach.

Whereabouts are you?

Junkyard
    Free Member

rivvy close by and enough to be interesting for a newbie – you can stay low circling the ressie /castle if they are a complete novice or go up to pidgeon tower if they have some fitness – not that far to push as I discovered in 6 inch of snow
    Wilders wood for a little rockyness for example
    Dont do Ice cream Run though – even if they use the Hora chicken run 😉
    Some gentley bimbly stuff other side of hill as well for more xc type stuff
    Can sort you out some routes if you want

binners

Words of wisdom John

I’m in Manchester Flash, so we’ve no shortage of accessable routes

stevemakin

Delamere is a great place for newbies, nice trails, mixing in a bit of singletrack, lakes to sit by, cafe’s to eat cake in, easy access

peachos
    Free Member

i took the new mrs to the Lakes for her first proper mtb excursion a few weeks back and she absolutely loved it. we went up for the weekend and stayed in ambleside overnight so that’s your pubs/cafe’s etc sorted. same boat as you – didn’t want to do anything too ambitious but wanted good scenery and a few interesting sections at least so i took her on the Loughrigg Fell loop, which is about 6 miles i think. has a couple of small technical climbs, but they’re all attainable for an absolute beginner, which is important. the descents are fun enough to keep you entertained and easy enough to give them the thrills. chuck in some great views over Rydal Water & Grasmere and a visit to Rydal Caves and you’re on to a winner. Being so short was great too as when we got back to the start she wanted to go round again, which i think was good because she knew what was coming!

portlyone

+ 1 Rivi. Also, Llandegla was great for me when I started

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good ride/weekends riding to take a newbie on’ is closed to new replies.