Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommend me a good cyclocross tyre please?
  • fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

As per title I need/want to replace the ones which came as standard as they have a slick line down the middle.

Would prefer something that doesn’t just fall to bits as soon as it looks at some tarmac but also needs to be able to handle itself in the muddy stuff.

Cheers 🙂

MrOvershoot

Maxxis Raze IMO

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Was wondering about the small block 8’s ??

STATO
    Free Member

but also needs to be able to handle itself in the muddy stuff.

Was wondering about the small block 8’s ??

Does not compute?

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

Yeah i can see my mistake there!

Daffy

SB8s are okay in very wet mud, but quickly turn to slicks in claggy mud. They are okay to commute with, but quickly wear down in totally dry warm weather…

benji
    Free Member

Racing Ralphs don’t seem too bad in mud, but usually by the time it’s getting really muddy i’m onto the rocket rons. So far haven’t destroyed my training pair of RaRa’s which have included some tarmac.

clubber
    Free Member

I found SB8s fine in mud actually. Not maybe in real claggy stuff but then for that you’d need big spikes/knobs which will then be rubbish on the road.

psling
    Free Member

I’ve always got on well with Conti Twisters for mix of tarmac/fireroad/singletrack. Currently on last legs of 37-622 set, looking to replace with same. Used for commuting / fun, not cx racing so don’t know how they’d perform on the cx race track 8)

thomthumb
    Free Member

I found SB8s fine in mud actually

+1

the narrow width/ tall casing seems to give them much better mud properties than the mtb version. I prefer them to a conti twister which should be better in the clag.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Don’t ask me, I use these (see below) they work fine on my on/offroad commute across the Quantocks but it’s more sandy than muddy.

MoreCashThanDash

My Arkrose came with Small Block 8s and they have been great on tarmac an tracks – I don’t race though

Rorschach
    Free Member

Raze’s are very good.And Mud Wrestlers (but don’t last long on the black stuff)

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I rather linked Schwalbe Smart Sams for mixed road / offroad when I had a cross bike. Were pretty good in claggy Kentish mud when I lived around there.

Quite cheap too if you shop around – loads of places do then for around the £20 mark.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/schwalbe-smart-sam–29-x-14—700c-x35mm-wired-3983-p.asp

crispycross
    Free Member

Challenge Grifo Pro. Wire bead, tough as old boots, bit slower than the open tub versions because they’ve got a deeper tread but they seem to roll and wear ok on the road, as well as gripping in all but the very nastiest mud. £20 on Planet-X at the mo’.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Clement PDX from high on bikes? pretty well built up centre, very good mud tyre.

rp16v
    Free Member

put a cross king on the front this weekend felt real nice with ooodles of grip speed king on tge rear wa also good a a pair but wears out quick on the rear

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good cyclocross tyre please?’ is closed to new replies.