Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend me a front rack/basket/pannier mount for 27.5+
  • shedbrewed
    Free Member

Pretty much as it says. In an effort to recuperate and with my consultants permission I’m allowed to start cycling again as long as I’m upright enough. N+1 means a new bike so I’m keen to make it useful. Just a big enough rack or basket to carry a couple of bags.
    Go.

OCB
    Free Member

Ok, I’m in (albeit only following tradition by recommending what I own). Dunno if this fits your requirement for a couple of bags, but…

Wald 1372 on Racktime Topit f-rack is my set up of choice for most of my rides, not too big, not too small. The basket will take a full 13ltr Alpkit drybag comfortably, plus you can trap any odds and bits (like a waterproof or a map) under a cargo net. I use the same rack on 700c and 29’s (and it’s been on my chubby 26er, albeit with 29er forks).

*However* it’ll be expecting 100mm OLN on the front tho’ – so if you are boosted in some sense it might not spread far enough – a couple of mm is neither here nor there, but I wouldn’t go much further than that). (I’ve got one of these racks mounted on 135mm OLN forks, but on the ‘inside’ set of eyelets, there’s no way it’d go to 135mm).

I don’t recall every seeing a rack for boosted front ends, from what what I’ve seen, people seem to adapt a rear …

Anyway, assuming your forks aren’t boosted, (and my shonky photos aside), but maybe these’ll give you a hint:

The rack mounts on mid fork eyelets, and has a stabilising section back to the fork crown. Basket can be pedal-strapped on (or fitted properly 😉 ) to suit. I do sometimes just strap a drybag directly on the rack, so my basket isn’t fixed permanently.

I have a Nitto M18 on another bike, and a Wald will sit on that ok (but that size of rack is better suited to a rando bag imo).

For more ideas, the Blue Lug flickr ‘stream often has front racked bikes (& specs).

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Cheers, thanks for the point towards Blue Lug. I was aware of their shop but not their flickr.
    The Wald kit looks pretty good, I’ve got an old Netto basket in the shed from a friend who brought me a load of Staffordshire oatcakes years back. It won’t be tasteful but would work.
    The Blackburn outpost looks like a good front rack too.

steezysix
    Free Member

The Blackburn rack is not that great IMO, I had one and the top platform is too small and too far forward. If you have mid fork eyelets, the Specialized Pizza rack is a great choice, I have on on my Genesis Longtitude:

Del

probably surly do something.

somafunk
    shedbrewed
    Free Member

Cheers steezysix I was looking at the pizza rack but wasn’t sure if it’d fit on a chubby fork.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Oh and what Lomo bag is that?

steezysix
    Free Member

I think it’s called the rack pack, under dry bags on the ewetsuit site!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Many thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a front rack/basket/pannier mount for 27.5+’ is closed to new replies.