Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend Me A freeview HD PVR
  • PrinceJohn

Hi all,

My freeview pvr appears to have packed up – sooooo i’m in the market for a freeview HD pvr as it turns out we’ve got HD signal available.

So I’ve had a bit of a nose online & there seems to be many options available, so has anyone got advice or recommendations?

GrahamS

What’s up with the existing one?

May be quite easy to fix. (then you can sell it to subsidise the HD one)

jonk

Humax FOX HDR-T2 is awesome and very good support. I have 3 humax units one which is over 6 years old and still going.

kimbers

i have a sony one thats been superb for 3 years excellent upscaling dvd player too

PrinceJohn

What’s up with the existing one?

May be quite easy to fix. (then you can sell it to subsidise the HD one)

LONG VERSION
    It’s a tvonics DTR-Z250, last night tried to turn it on & it wouldn’t come on. So I disconnected the power to reboot it & all the lights came on on the front of the unit & wouldn’t go out, until I tried to power it on with the remote then all the lights went out & it seems to be dead. I’ve tried this several times & left the unit unplugged overnight in case it was overheating or anything.

SHORT VERSION
    It won’t switch on.

marsdenman
    Free Member

humax have a their own webite with refurbished units at a good discount – we bought ours from there.
    Fair enough,first one was not right but they exchanged without issue.

treefeller
    Free Member

What jonk said, just got one from Richer sounds £229 for the 500GB version.

markenduro
    Free Member

+1 for the humax, I’ve got the freesat one and it has been faultless.

PrinceJohn

Just seen this bundle on their website… tempting…

allthepies
    Free Member

Humax all the way.

Pauly

Humax FOX HDR-T2 is awesome and very good support

What he said. Had a few different PVR’s and this is the best by far.
    Menu’s are excellent, and great support.

Pauly

The offer on that link has a PVR with only one tuner. Does that mean you have to watch what you’re recording?

I think you need a twin tuner tbh.

cranberry
    Free Member

Get a Humax.

Then open it up, and stick a 2Tb drive in there ( it takes a bit of fiddling, but there are guides online that talk you through it ).

GrahamS

Hmm that sounds quite gubbed.

I’ve had the odd hard drive fault from (very old) my Humax 9200 but I’ve always fixed them with various utilities and reformatting.

PrinceJohn

The offer on that link has a PVR with only one tuner. Does that mean you have to watch what you’re recording?

I think you need a twin tuner tbh.

Aaah – good point didn’t think of that in my haste!

unovolo
    Free Member

Humax ones are all pretty good ,

However my dad has just got a Toshiba one which seems pretty good,Twin HD Tuners 500Gb Nice looking box to.
    The HD picture is actually Better than the HD picture from the Sky HD box its replacing.
    His was a refurbed one from the Toshiba Outlet store in Cheshire Oaks near Chester/Ellesmere Port ,cost was about £140.
    The same one is available HERE for £133.

Pieface

Humax good apart from the ‘Pause TV / record subsequent program’ bug that I discovered at the weekend, missed the last 15 minutes of a program.

MrOvershoot

Would agree about the Humax.

I’m feeling a bit silly now after buying a Samsung BD-DT7800/XU Freeview PVR – 500G & a Samsung UE40D5520 40″ LED TV

Both winners of What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision awards, separately I’m sure they are superb but TBH they have the annoying fault of duplicating pretty much everything in their menu system (neither which is as intuitive as the Humax we still have that is now upstairs)

Sometimes you are pressing the remote of the TV trying to record stuff & then you realise its the wrong remote, then the recorded stuff is buried away many pages away rather that Humax’s one button “Playlists”

I’m tempted to sell the Samsung PVR and get another Humax

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Another Humax happy customer here. So much so – they replace stuff obviously- but when you report bugs – they thank you and ask you to test the fixes. I couldn’t be happier and our second box is also (you guessed it) a Hummer, and when my mum needed to go digital – yep, you guessed it.

TBF – like anything – some will fail etc. The backup is great though.

The programme guide looks a bit clunky compared to sky until you get used to it.

nuke

Another vote for Humax…5+ years with ours and still going strong

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Forgot to say – Humax Direct have some real good bargains with full warranty. That’s where all ours came from (Google them if interested).

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend Me A freeview HD PVR’ is closed to new replies.