Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me a flat barred hybrid please
  • TimP
    Free Member

From Evans on C2W

A guy at work is doing London to Paris

His criteria is flat barred, and he is 18 1/2 stone so I have suggested that V or disk would be worth a look to give him reasonable stopping power. Also 3 rings over 2 worth it? And light weight is prob not high on the list, but strong wheels/frame/fork are. Are there any CX flat bar bikes out there?

z1ppy

This was recommended the other day, looks good.
    http://www.marin.co.uk/2010/bikepage.php?ModNo=10AA

rootes1

budget?

TimP
    Free Member

Budget up to about £800 to allow for extras (lights decent shorts, locks etc)

and does need to be Evans too at the moment

TooTall
    Free Member

Trek 7.whatever FX – but he might need heavier wheels. I did.

rootes1

Evans…

Well Charge Mixer? Charge Tap? robust bikes with 8 speed hub gears.

Kona Dr Dew – they have the 2009 model on sale at the mo
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/dr-dew-2009-hybrid-bike-ec017272

traildog
    Free Member

I never understand why people so want flat bars?

I don't see why he'd want a cross bike really.

Sorry, this post isn't very helpful is it! 🙂

If he's heavy, he'll probably struggle on climbs so a triple might be a good idea. There aren't much in the way of climbs from London to Paris, but he might want to do more with the bike than just that.

TimP
    Free Member

He wants flat bars for an upright riding position, otherwise would it be a tourer for similar position? I did suggest that he would be better off on a specific road bike, but he is bigger than me so I let him off..

Would a cross bike be built a bit stronger than a road bike/hybrid? That was my only thinking on that…

Albanach
    Free Member

I use a Merida Speeder T2 to commute to work. I'm 17.5 stone and normally have a couple of panniers on the back as well. 3 rings on the front – I've never had the need for the granny on my commute. Stock wheels were deemed strong enough and ~6months down the line with daily use they are still running true. He could get the wheels re laced if required but this was not deemed necessary by the shop I bought it from. Think it was £600 all in with racks, mudguards.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

My wife went for a Giant CRS Alliance for her commuting duties however she's still using the car at the mo having waited 6 ****' months on it arriving! It's meant to be here this week…breath is not held! She weighs next to pretty much **** all but I'm assured the carbon bits are exceptionally strong and would probably keep your mate separated from the tarmac 😀
    An excellent bike for the money and worth considering if Giant eventually get their act together and get any of the 'kin things in the country! 😡

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Spesh Sirrus

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a flat barred hybrid please’ is closed to new replies.